Author Topic: Weekend away + fun route  (Read 1594 times)

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
Weekend away + fun route
« on: February 20, 2010, 11:17:39 am »
We're needing a weekend away from home, dogs + daughter will get a baby sitter.  We're in Calgary, so the Banff thing is getting old and Jasper doesn't excite me too much.  Looking for a cool destination in the mountains that has a fun/fast/and or twisty drive for some car fun on the way there.  Can't be too far as this would be a leave on Friday, might just take the day off, and come back on the Sunday. 

I've only ever been through Banff, Jasper, and all the way up to Stewart BC as far as mountain drives go.

Any ideas?

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
Re: Weekend away + fun route
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2010, 11:26:25 am »
Radium Hot Springs (highway 93)? Apparently it's a beautiful drive, and I've been told the hot springs at Radium are worth a visit. 

How far is too far? The Rogers pass between Golden and Revelstoke is 'fun', and goes through Glacier National Park.'

Still further from Calgary is the Okanagan area: Hwy 97 is a great drive, as are the lower lake shore routes ("single lane and you will never get out of 2nd and 3rd gear; these roads go for 50 km at a time, according to these guys)
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline teacherman

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 02 Forester Limited STi (soon...), 98 Legacy GT Wagon aka. The Family Truckster
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2010, 11:31:58 am »
Radium is a nice drive, but if your into crossing the border, White Fish Montana is a great drive through the mountains too.
You can't teach someone common sense

Times I've counted other people's counts in their sig: countless

Offline Mase-19

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2010, 11:34:17 am »
Fernie. About 3 hours south west of calgary. A very nice drive. If you have a few more time an even better place is whitefish montana. One of the nicest drives I have ever done, even without taking to going to the sun road.

06 WRX Wagon. STG 2. Invidia catless dp, maddad axle back, K&N filter, kartboy short throw shifter, 5000k HID, hella supertones, rally armour flaps

Offline pistachoo

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Messing with kids' minds since 2001
  • Ride: '06 STi
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2010, 11:39:23 am »
Bahaha, I looked up Whitefish, Montana on Google Maps and forgot to remove the 3rd destination from my previous search. Now this looks like a fun drive!

....how much time did you say you had? circuit/loop  ;D
'Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that none of it has tried to contact us.'
~ Calvin ~

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2010, 11:40:29 am »
Thanks for the ideas so far, would like to limit the drive to a max of 4 or 5 hours.  Hadn't thought of the American side, that's a good possibility, haven't been to the NW States before.  I'll just have to make sure my wife has her landed immigrant documents, otherwise she'll be stuck back in the States.

Edit: looks like I'll be upping my drive time  ;)