Author Topic: APS TMIC install 04-07 STi  (Read 5671 times)

Offline rs_two_five

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
APS TMIC install 04-07 STi
« on: July 06, 2008, 03:56:10 am »
APS intercooler install 04-07 STi

Tools required:
-7mm, 8mm, 10mm, 12mm sockets
-12mm wrench
-phillips screwdriver #2
-common screwdriver
-needle nose pliers
-Xacto blade
-ruler
-scrubby pad (scotch brite)
-Permatex black gasket maker
-vaseline

Step 1: Removal of TMIC
-Remove all bolts marked in red, make sure you note the positions of where they are installed. 
-Loosen the clamps on the turbo outlet, and the throttle body coupling. 
-Remove the vacuum lines that directly attach to the TMIC piping. 
Once you’ve got all those complete, then you can lift the stock TMIC out of the engine bay.

Step 2: Removal of TMIC support braces
-Remove the two bolts that attach the driver side top mount bracket to the intake manifold, keep the bracket safe, because it will be re-installed later. 
-Remove the two bolts which secure the passenger side bracket to the back side of the block, which will be replaced by the one supplied by the kit.

Step 3 : Stripping old TMIC (keep all parts, they will be re-used)
-Remove the three bolts which attach the vacuum crosspipe to the face of the intercooler.
-Remove the 4 bolts which attach the inlet charge pipe to the intercooler rear body.
-Remove both bushings from both side mounting points.  To remove them, push the sleeve out of the rubber bushing with your thumb, then remove the rubber bushing from the mount on the side of the intercooler.
-Remove TMIC to Throttle body coupler.

Step 4 : Prepping charge pipes
-Remove old gaskets from the charge pipes with the Xacto blade.  TAKE YOUR TIME, and be careful not to mar or gouge the aluminum surface of the charge pipes.  The old gaskets are glued into place, so they will not come off easily.  Once the actual gasket has been removed, use a scotch brite pad to get rid of any glue residue left over. 
-After both surfaces are good and clean, smear a VERY LIGHT coat of permatex gasket maker on the new charge pipe gaskets supplied in the kit, make sure to completely cover both sides and all parts of the gasket.
-Place gasket on charge pipe

Step 5 : Prepping new TMIC
-Install charge pipe with 4 bolts removed in step 3.  NOTE : install clamp for elbow at the 6 o’clock position on charge pipe. Torque for nuts is 12 ft/lbs
-Install vacuum crosspipe removed in step 3 with supplied hardware from kit.  MAKE sure you install the spacers behind the lines. Torque for nuts is 5 ft/lbs
-Install TMIC to throttle body coupler removed in step 3, do not tighten clamps at this time

Step 6 : Installation of Passenger side TMIC support
-Install the passenger side TMIC support supplied in kit, using hardware removed in step 2.  Center the holes as best you can, and tighten the bolts.  Torque for bolts is 12 ft/lbs

Step 7 : Installation of TMIC
-Slide new TMIC into place, making sure not to damage the couplings for the turbo outlet or the throttle body.  HINT lightly coat insides of both couplings with vaceline, it will make the job MUCH easier
-Once TMIC is sitting in place, install driver side TMIC support brace.  Tighten both bolts into intake manifold removed in step 2.  Torque for bolts is 12 ft/lbs
-Install and tighten both side support bolts removed in step 1 into both support braces.  Torque for bolts is 12 ft/lbs
-Tighten turbo outlet clamp and TMIC to Throttle body clamps (3 in total) Torque for clamps is 3 ft/lbs
-Install all vacuum lines that attach to TMIC crosspipe. (3 in total)
-Install bypass valve o-ring supplied in kit, and then install bypass valve to front of TMIC.  Torque for nuts is 12 ft/lbs

Step 8 : Removal of Hood Splitter
-disconnect the water sprayer line attached to the hood diffuser
-Remove 7 bolts holding the splitter to the hood.  Marked in red
-Remove plastic screw and clip from the splitter.  Upper center, also marked in red
-Carefully remove splitter from hood, by disengaging the two tabs on the bottom edge.

Step 9 : Removal of Hood Scoop
-Remove 6 nuts marked in red
-Using needle nose pliers, pinch the plastic tabs marked in yellow to release them from the hood
BE CAREFUL : the hood scoop will fall if you don’t support it

Step 10 : Prepping splitter
-Using needle nose pliers, pinch the backsides of the plastic tabs holding the rubber sealing ring on the splitter.
-Bend the forward edge of the opening in the splitter aft (marked in red), so it aligns with the rest of the metal in the opening of the splitter.  It should look pretty close to what is pictured.  It does not have to move very far

Step 11 : Prepping sealing strip
-cut off the sealing ring approximately 15mm’s down all the way around (marked in yellow). 
-re-install the sealing ring to the hood splitter, using all clips removed in step 10
-temporarily re-install hood splitter to hood.

Step 12 : Checking seal for any interference
-CAREFULLY lower the hood, working slowly, moving inch by inch to make sure nothing comes into contact with each other.  Once you can lower the hood until it rests on the latch without contacting anything, then proceed to close the hood normally.  Again, check how the seal rests on the TMIC.  Make sure it doesn’t bunch up, or come into contact with the fins on the TMIC.  Also, make sure that the forward edge you bent in step 10 doesn’t contact the vacuum crosspipes across the front of the TMIC.  If it does, bend the tab a little more in the direction needed.

-Once all is confirmed good with fit, then remove the splitter, re-install the hood scoop, and then re-install the splitter.

Offline rs_two_five

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: APS TMIC install 04-07 STi
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 04:14:26 am »
And just for comparison between the two intercoolers.

Offline GrantC

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Motorsports is fun.
  • Ride: Fender stripes, a high flow cat, yellow high beams, and an exhaust.
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 07:22:51 am »
Nice!

I'm still, to be honest, impressed by how crisp the STI you painted on that intercooler is... It almost looks like a photochop. :P

Nice install!  Jutes is having you work on his car while he's away?

(you have, i think the wrong pic for "Step 3 : Stripping old TMIC")

Offline Hurricane

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Bazinga!
  • Ride: '14 Fiesta ST
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 08:41:05 am »
Excellent write-up with great quality pics.  Thanks for taking the time to do it.

Jeff

PS Make sure you have a backup of the text/pictures, just in case ;)
Genius has its limits, but stupidity is boundless
"If in doubt, flat out" - Colin McRae (RIP)

Sean

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2008, 09:08:49 am »
Also seems like 15 cm is a lot to trim off the splitter.  Did you perhaps mean 15mm?

Otherwise that was a very detailed guide.  That would make me almost confident enough to try that myself(that is, if I had an STi and an APS FMIC)  :o

scoobyjabo

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 10:04:24 am »
damn, that's a clean engine bay..Very well done..The i/c looks very nice..

Offline rs_two_five

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2008, 12:43:58 pm »
(you have, i think the wrong pic for "Step 3 : Stripping old TMIC")

Thanks, its now fixed

Also seems like 15 cm is a lot to trim off the splitter.  Did you perhaps mean 15mm?

Yes, you are right, it is 15mm. I will change that right now

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Offline RIP

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Outback
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2008, 03:29:40 pm »
RS_two_five  your DIYs are really good! 

Thanks for really helping add to the needed technical side of the club.

I recently did my rear rotors and took zero pictures, I wish I had as it
is easy to do and would help some other members who don't know
how to do it.

Offline Perfect Dark

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Wagoon!
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2008, 04:14:25 pm »
Quite a size difference between the 2 TMIC's...I swear my AVO TMIC was twice as big as the stocker.

Offline rs_two_five

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2008, 04:18:06 pm »
well stay tuned.. because I probably will have a complete DIY 4/2 pot brake rotor and pad swap in the next few weeks:D

Offline Ambystom01

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Not contributing to WSC since 2008
  • Ride: 2015 VW tree-killer, 1990 Mazda hairdresser
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2008, 04:41:53 pm »
How do you keep your engine bay so clean, it's amazing really.
Quote from: mudferret
Ambystom01 shows the funny picture whom is thine boss.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2008, 04:49:54 pm »
Wow, that turned out amazing. Very nice work indeed.

How do you keep your engine bay so clean, it's amazing really.

Why thank you.  ;) All it takes is a rinse of water and a quick wipe-down. I don't know if Sean cleaned the engine bay after I left, so it could have been him.

Offline jutes

• WSC Pot Stick Posse
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Chev // 18’ X1
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2008, 04:52:42 pm »
Nice install!  Jutes is having you work on his car while he's away?

I didn't force him to do it, but I'm thinking it's a combination of him being nice and bored. ;D

I just hope that there aren't any 6speed swaps into WRX's DIY's while I'm still here.  :P :D

Offline RIP

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2013 Outback
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2008, 04:54:55 pm »
well stay tuned.. because I probably will have a complete DIY 4/2 pot brake rotor and pad swap in the next few weeks:D

I was shocked at how simple the rear rotors were to do... I remember doing drum breaks in the past and what a pain
they were.  

Do you have the two bolts for getting the rear rotors off the car?  (How we got them off was on the OEM rotors there
are two threaded holes that you put the bolt in and then screw in until they pop off the hub)

Offline rs_two_five

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2008, 07:48:59 pm »
All it takes is a rinse of water and a quick wipe-down. I don't know if Sean cleaned the engine bay after I left, so it could have been him.

::) mayyyyybe I might have  :D

I just hope that there aren't any 6speed swaps into WRX's DIY's while I'm still here.  :P :D

Now thats the funny thing.. because Rob and I were laughing about that.  I almost was tempted to just start taking shots from your engine bay pointing out all the nuts and bolts and describing the whole procedure.. except that would have taken too long..

Do you have the two bolts for getting the rear rotors off the car?  (How we got them off was on the OEM rotors there
are two threaded holes that you put the bolt in and then screw in until they pop off the hub)

Well, thats one way to do it, except it tends to cause damage to the rear E-brake drum pads.  Its not the wrong way, but its also not the best way to do it.  So, I'll explain another method to do it, that won't damage anything, but it adds another 10 mins at the end of the job.

Don't worry, all those little "tricks of the trade" will be included in the instructions  ;)