Author Topic: 2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread  (Read 25548 times)

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
Re: 2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #125 on: December 30, 2011, 07:07:56 pm »
Win win win!  Amazing daybskiing with james and evan at kicking horse. Couple of thigh deep lines.  If only every day was that good

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
« Reply #126 on: December 30, 2011, 09:28:33 pm »
Win win win!  Amazing daybskiing with james and evan at kicking horse. Couple of thigh deep lines.  If only every day was that good

Yeah man, it was awesome. Just glad we didn't get caught up in this... Just a gentle reminder about the dangers of avalanches, even in bounds. If it cools down after the warm temps we have been seeing the risk is only going to get worse. Everyone play safe out there!
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
  • Ride: Ducati
« Reply #127 on: December 31, 2011, 05:56:45 pm »
Awesome day of riding guys!

I looked at our ski tracks app... the avalanche happened just after our last pass through. Talk about too close for comfort
Official Anti-Purist

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #128 on: December 31, 2011, 07:11:47 pm »
Awesome day of riding guys!

I looked at our ski tracks app... the avalanche happened just after our last pass through. Talk about too close for comfort

The same chute/face we rode down? That doesn't make feel happy inside.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #129 on: December 31, 2011, 10:55:32 pm »
Time to start riding with a beacon in bounds?  I think I may, if my powder addiction continues.... And it will continue hehehe

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
2011/ 2012 WSC Ski and Snowboard thread
« Reply #130 on: December 31, 2011, 10:56:18 pm »
We're you able to get a fix where it happened with reference to where our last lines were?

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
« Reply #131 on: January 01, 2012, 10:13:48 am »
no, because they only said Feuz bowl, not which face... I am going to price out beacons this week... i figure the season is still young and I wanna live through it
Official Anti-Purist

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
January 1, 2012 | Trip Report | Kicking Horse
« Reply #132 on: January 01, 2012, 04:03:45 pm »
I'll ask someone tomorrow about specifics on Friday's slide.

Today I got try Super Bowl for the first time. Our first run went off of the main hiking trail that meanders over to the col between T1 and T2. Snow was really chopped up there but still very soft and pretty fun. Managed a few turns in some fresh pow that run. The next lap around I convinced MRS EDJ to hike T1 on the promise of some good vertical and knee deep pow. It was her first double black diamond experience and I must say she did very well, I was stoked! There were lots of fresh, thigh deep tracks to be had on the upper portion of T1 and I suspect that tomorrow will be more of the same. I didn't get over to Feuz Bowl today, but will probably check out one of my new favorite lines tomorrow.

So far I'm 5 for 6 on powder days this season 8)
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Wrxtasy

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Win Sum Lue Sum too
« Reply #133 on: January 01, 2012, 10:12:45 pm »
I'm heading out in the am... should be there early enough to get some breakfast... Bruno is coming in from Invermere to meet us too
Official Anti-Purist

stefan

« Reply #134 on: January 03, 2012, 09:59:41 am »
The slide was really minor, and the guy involved was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was sitting in the flat plain area to the right (as you're heading down fuez).  Size wise about 100ft across thereabouts. About 3ft maximum height in the flat once it came down. One of our friends was first on scene to dig the guy out and he was ok save for a major freakout and initial running away after being rescued. Still ended up shutting down the hill for 2.5hr or so.  Fuez was closed the rest of the day but re-opened on Saturday.

Quite possibly the most epic powder I have ever experienced.  Front side of the hill, all the major runs, were totally  tracked out. Superbowl was closed, and Bowl Over was .. OK.

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #135 on: January 03, 2012, 10:31:14 am »
The slide was really minor, and the guy involved was in the wrong place at the wrong time. He was sitting in the flat plain area to the right (as you're heading down fuez).  Size wise about 100ft across thereabouts. About 3ft maximum height in the flat once it came down. One of our friends was first on scene to dig the guy out and he was ok save for a major freakout and initial running away after being rescued. Still ended up shutting down the hill for 2.5hr or so.  Fuez was closed the rest of the day but re-opened on Saturday.

Quite possibly the most epic powder I have ever experienced.  Front side of the hill, all the major runs, were totally  tracked out. Superbowl was closed, and Bowl Over was .. OK.

Yeah I was talking with a Ski Patrol guy on Monday and took a look at the slide. The slab was apparently fractured and they blasted it in the morning but it didn't go so they figured it was okay. Somehow it slid later on in the day (skier traversing I suspect). It wasn't a big slide, but it was still a pretty big deal. It doesn't take much to get buried, and the danger/risk is compounded when most people caught by in bounds slides are not prepared with transceivers, probes, and shovels.

Before the slide though, I had a couple runs in Feuz that rank up in the top 5 best runs of my life. Hip deep and some of the most vertical I have gotten to experience. Sunday was pretty rad too, Superbowl opened up and T1 allowed for some pretty epic lines. Monday was actually pretty good up there too. All in all it was a great weekend and an awesome start to the new year.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #136 on: January 03, 2012, 10:43:19 am »
I hit Revelstoke for 3 days Dec 28-30.... the best powder I've ever seen there for this time of year. They were getting 15cm each night and then it would stop in the morning. Only issue is that the snow line is still really high. You can't ski all the way down and need to take the gondola down from the Mid-Mountain to the bottom. It was raining in Revelstoke each day.

My knee is completely blown out though (retorn ACL after surgery). Turns out that after a serious first day, I was done... I went up to the top on the second day and the first ski down was a mix of pure bliss because of the perfect powder and pure pain from my knee on ever turn...

seems like im probably out until my next knee surgery.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #137 on: January 04, 2012, 10:12:36 am »
I had a couple runs in Feuz that rank up in the top 5 best runs of my life. Hip deep and some of the most vertical I have gotten to experience.

This.   Looking back, that first run was the best run of my life.  And the second run into Feuz was the second best run I have had.  I hope to get another day with these conditions this year!

Edit :  Sorry to hear that about your knee Zev

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #138 on: January 04, 2012, 02:52:18 pm »
* Looks around for EDJ

What app was that you and James were using?  >:D

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #139 on: January 04, 2012, 03:11:15 pm »
* Looks around for EDJ

What app was that you and James were using?  >:D

Ski Tracks

photo by THE EDJ, on Flickr

photo by THE EDJ, on Flickr
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #140 on: January 04, 2012, 03:19:17 pm »
haha whistler has a similar which I thought was awesome, the max speed was a bit dangerous for me as I kept trying to beat it all day.
Other resorts should incorporate this as well. This will be a must next time. did you buy it?

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #141 on: January 04, 2012, 03:21:27 pm »
haha whistler has a similar which I thought was awesome, the max speed was a bit dangerous for me as I kept trying to beat it all day.
Other resorts should incorporate this as well. This will be a must next time. did you buy it?

Yeah, it was $0.99

My fastest speed was 87.9 km/h. On a reverse cambered 155 cm board.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline rex 123

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #142 on: January 04, 2012, 03:26:20 pm »
$0.99 !! F that man. LOL just kidding that is not a bad way to spend a dollar.
I could not break 90km in powder either and I was straight lining some steep runs at the top of whistler.
Groomers were a different story, 100+ was not unheard of.

Offline stauff

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 Saab 92x 2.5i
« Reply #143 on: January 04, 2012, 03:47:05 pm »
Ski Tracks

Here is our entire day on google earth (it a kmz file and requires google earth)

Saabaru - racked and lifted

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #144 on: January 04, 2012, 08:03:19 pm »
can anyone recommend some good food joints in revelstoke and maybe some places to hang out at afterwards?  heading up there tmw. 

AWDFTW

« Reply #145 on: January 05, 2012, 08:02:48 am »
Yes I can!

There's a place called Nomad Food Co just past the train bridge if you turn on the road that Shell/Tim Hortons is on. It's made from scratch fast food/seafood kinda stuff. The potato salad they make is awesome! UrbanSpoon Page

Further into the actual town, I've been to a couple places. The Village Idiot Bar and Grill has great local beer on tap, and makes awesome pizza and panzerottis (calzone). The stuffed jalepenos are uckfaying hot. And, like anywhere in BC it seems - there are definitely vegetarian options. Urbanspoon Again

And then last time we were there, there was a staff party at The Village Idiot, so we decided to try the place called Isabella's Ristorante, and that place had the best pasta I've ever eaten. And here's Urbanspoon link again.

There are directions, reviews and menus on Urbanspoon, and their app on my phone has found me so many good places to eat and get coffee. Sorry for the long post haha.

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #146 on: January 05, 2012, 09:09:37 am »
I was just staying on the mountain and tried out the wine bar, Vino, that they built there. Its good, but expensive.
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline katalyst

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2007 Legacy 2.5i
« Reply #147 on: January 08, 2012, 12:59:55 am »
Yes I can!

There's a place called Nomad Food Co just past the train bridge if you turn on the road that Shell/Tim Hortons is on. It's made from scratch fast food/seafood kinda stuff. The potato salad they make is awesome! UrbanSpoon Page

Further into the actual town, I've been to a couple places. The Village Idiot Bar and Grill has great local beer on tap, and makes awesome pizza and panzerottis (calzone). The stuffed jalepenos are uckfaying hot. And, like anywhere in BC it seems - there are definitely vegetarian options. Urbanspoon Again

And then last time we were there, there was a staff party at The Village Idiot, so we decided to try the place called Isabella's Ristorante, and that place had the best pasta I've ever eaten. And here's Urbanspoon link again.

There are directions, reviews and menus on Urbanspoon, and their app on my phone has found me so many good places to eat and get coffee. Sorry for the long post haha.

nomad food company was just awesome.  i had the farmyard burger there: beef, chicken, bacon, egg and cheese all in one burger; it was mind blowing.   probably one of the best burgers i've ever had, anywhere.  i'd almost go back to revelstoke just for this burger.  village idiot was cool too, pretty busy there though.  the second night we were there we weren't even able to get a place to sit.  didn't get a chance to try isabella's, but we weren't really in the mood for italian and we were kinda grungy after our days on the slopes so we didn't want to cramp their style, being a more upscale-ish place (for revelstoke).

but i appreciate the recommendations  :D

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #148 on: January 08, 2012, 06:16:08 pm »
A few photo's from last weekend at Kicking Horse...

Here we are looking down towards Bowl Over from the ridge going up T1. I like this one because it shows fairly accurately how steep the mountain actually is; it's not always easy to capture the grade.

P1060341 - Version 2 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

Looking towards the Golden Eagle Express Gondola and Eagles Eye Restaurant. Gotta love pow days and blue bird skies.

P1060342 - Version 2 by THE EDJ, on Flickr

Looking towards T2 from the peak of T1.

IMG_1113 - Version 2 by THE EDJ, on Flickr
THE EDJ on flickr

AWDFTW

« Reply #149 on: January 08, 2012, 09:02:23 pm »
Nice pics EDJ, looks like it was a killer day. I still haven't made it to Kicking Horse.

Pretty stoked to get back to Revy again, my only day there this year was cut short; and that was only second day of the season. That was 3 weeks ago - I dislocated a couple ribs at my sternum. I'm finally feeling almost ready to ride.

nomad food company was just awesome.  i had the farmyard burger there: beef, chicken, bacon, egg and cheese all in one burger; it was mind blowing.   probably one of the best burgers i've ever had, anywhere.  i'd almost go back to revelstoke just for this burger.  village idiot was cool too, pretty busy there though.  the second night we were there we weren't even able to get a place to sit.  didn't get a chance to try isabella's, but we weren't really in the mood for italian and we were kinda grungy after our days on the slopes so we didn't want to cramp their style, being a more upscale-ish place (for revelstoke).

but i appreciate the recommendations  :D

I'm glad I can tell my more carnivorous friends some recommendations now too haha, good to know. There's been a few times it was too busy at Village Idiot to get in - and I certainly wouldn't be worried about being board grungy anywhere in that town, haha! Definitely try to get there once, I've never had pasta that good.

My buddy's band, who I still haven't checked out, is playing Revelstoke right now. I so wish I was there.