Author Topic: The Wine Thread  (Read 10848 times)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
  • Ride: Explorer
Re: The Wine Thread
« Reply #50 on: December 23, 2012, 10:40:52 pm »
Buttery, caramel and a hit of citrus on the aftertaste.  Mmmmmmm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

One of my favourite whites. Very,very tasty.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX Sport CVT (CBS)
« Reply #51 on: December 26, 2012, 01:13:00 am »
Cracked open the Rossignol - Isle Saint Jean ["Red"] was its name.  The Red is in brackets, because on the bottle, it's not part of the name, but on the Rossignol site, they include it.

Made of Marechal Foch, Baco Noir, and blueberry (?), this wine is supposedly "premium oak aged".  I am a bit surprised to see that it's not entirely grapes in the wine, but I guess stranger things have happened.

Raw notes:
- definitely smoky
- smelled kind of... interesting.  not sure how best to describe it, actually.  Could it be the blueberry in it that's throwing me off?
- seems kind of acidic at the moment that it hits the tongue; there is a bit of it that lingers in the aftertaste

Tannins.  Definitely a dry kind of wine.
Kind of refreshing, actually.  I've eaten far too many sweets lately.  This wine is deinfitely helping bring my tastebuds back in line.   :P

Since I've got the whole bottle to myself, I just hope I won't wake up with a terrible hangover.   :sarcasm:
Because... hoodscoop.  :P

Jesse.Korpan

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2013, 09:24:39 pm »
going for broke tonight its been a long week

Untitled by 2.5bugeye, on Flickr

Barefoot Moscato for the misses

Barefoot Sweet Red

and 2008 Mosel Riesling Qualitatswein red cat not a huge fan of the few German wines that I've had but why not give it a shot besides its a cat bottle !

Offline Zaider

• WSC Supporter
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • <shifty eyes>
  • Ride: Oh look at the kitty!
« Reply #53 on: October 31, 2014, 03:02:53 pm »
Bumping this up as we're currently in northern Argentina, specifically in Cafayate, which is the home of Torrontes grapes. The high altitude makes them a bit more alcoholic (14%ish) but very very good. We've been touring several wineries and doing a lot of tastings.

So far, my favourites are the Torrontes and Tannats from El Porvenir (gonna be expensive if you can find it in Alberta) and Finca Molina (not sure they export to Canada yet). An expensive bottle of wine down here, at a restaurant, might run you $15CAD... at a winery, you'll looking at $10-12 for a really really nice Malbec or Cab Sauv, which they also grow here.

Piatelli Vineyards - run by a guy originally from California and very reminiscent of Napa Valley

Domingo Molina Vineyards - had the most amazing tasting here... $18 for the tasting for two (5 glasses, cheese and breadsticks) and then two bottles... TOTAL
Go home Subaru. You're drunk.
Quote from: seat safety switch
audis are disposable suicide machines with 700lb of stupid interior itshay glued to them and 200 more horsepower than it needs so that their owners can never bring on track or drive anywhere more aggressively than a camry except when weaving in and out of traffic and letting the traction control soak up their incompetence

Offline Rene G

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2009 STI Hatch
« Reply #54 on: November 01, 2014, 10:55:56 am »
A really good wine from Summerland that I haven't seen here is the Rosé from Silkscarf vineyard. I'm a big fan of full bodied reds, but have to admit that this wine is fantastic! If you want to find some you'll have to make sure to search it out late in the spring of early summer as they sell out every year.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #55 on: December 14, 2014, 12:06:47 am »
Cracked open and finished off a bottle of The Black Chook, which was a Christmas present from a former team member of mine.

Spicy, but not sharp.  Smooth in the mouth, but a bit of an aftertaste.  Definitely felt elements of the shiraz in it.

Highlighted on the bottle with a lot of "awards".  I'm not that big on that kind of stuff - for me, it's more about the experience of it.  It was... underwhelming, sort of.  Drinkable; I didn't mind it at all.  Is it award-making material?  I didn't think so, but if it did win all those awards, they really have a low set of standards about them.

(For the record, I'm washing it out of my mouth with a Bowmore 17.)

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2015, 10:00:50 pm »
Quinta Ferreira winery's Mistura Branca, 2011 version.

It was a wine that I purchased a few bottles of from the Okanagan at the winery during my trip in August.  This is the first one that I've cracked, there's one more in waiting, and one was given away as a Christmas present.

Typical of wines from the Okanagan, it's a flavourful white wine.  Clear pale yellow with slight greenish and orange hue.  Can't really tell much scent, as my fiancée's mom is boiling some traditional Chinese medicine for my fiancée.  However, the taste is quite pleasureful.  Slight citrus rind flavour that builds throughout the sip, ending in a slight bitter aftertaste.  Fresh and light, with a long-ish finish.  Good balance of tart and sweetness.  Definitely something that would go well on a nice warm summer day, but also as a companion to fine cheese.

Offline GTRAuto

• Vendor
  • Stubbly Faced
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2015, 10:44:54 pm »
My all time favorite:

http://www.cedarcreek.bc.ca/wine/platinum/2013-platinum-block-3-riesling

and these are awesome fruit wines:

http://www.sleepinggiantfruitwinery.ca/

my favorite winery:

http://tantalus.ca/

and icewine - I have yet to find anything that comes remotely close

http://tantalus.ca/our-wines/riesling-icewine/
info@gtrauto.ca
www.gtrauto.ca

COBB, Motul, RedLine, KW, SONAX, Invidia

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2015, 11:19:42 pm »
Tantalus is solid!

If you make your way out towards Naramata this is my top five:
1. Serendipity
2. Black Widow
3. Misconduct
4. Deep Roots
5. Elephant Island

My tastes lean more towards big reds, but each of these offers some good variety/options. Serendipity is by and far some of the best wine I've had from the Okanagan valley.
"Experiencing the world through endless second hand information isn't enough. If we want authenticity, we have to initiate it." ~ Travis Rice
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline canehdianJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2016 Golf GTi
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2015, 08:52:31 pm »
Tantalus is solid!

If you make your way out towards Naramata this is my top five:
1. Serendipity
2. Black Widow
3. Misconduct
4. Deep Roots
5. Elephant Island

My tastes lean more towards big reds, but each of these offers some good variety/options. Serendipity is by and far some of the best wine I've had from the Okanagan valley.

this is a good list

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #60 on: October 04, 2015, 01:34:05 am »
Tantalus is pretty good, I'll give them that.  I brought back quite a few bottles from my most recent trip to the Okanagan (which was a month ago now - holy itshay, I've been away from here for at least that long!)

Lately, I've been dipping into my collection of mead that I brought back from the Okanagan.  Two prominent places offer it - Vernon's Planet Bee (Honeymoon Mead) isn't bad, but I'm quite liking the newer Meadow Vista in Kelowna.  They're not quite the same as grape-based wine, but they're definitely drinkable. :)

Offline chico_kj_23

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 1993 WRX, 2011 G37X, 2018 4Runner
« Reply #61 on: December 04, 2015, 10:05:06 am »
I was through Vancouver and the Okanagan this past summer and brought back something like 2 cases of various wines. I was actually surprised at the quality of some of the wines coming out of the Langley area. I know they bring in a lot of their grapes from other areas, but still some quality wines. Notable ones include Township 7, Chaberton Estate (Bacchus and Cab. Sav.) and Backyard Vineyards (Nosey Neighbor Red/White and NV Porch). Some of my favorites from the Okanagan area include Burrowing Owl (Cab Sav and Merlot), Quails Gate (Chasselas, Foch, Pinot Noir and Gewürztraminer) and Ex Nihilo (Night, Merlot, Riesling and Tous Sparkling Wine).

Also, when I was living out in Niagara last year I had a chance to do some tasting around there. It was hard to find a decent red out there. They had some great whites at Peller Estate, Jackson-Triggs (surprisingly), Château des Charmes and Stratus. However, I was able to find some great quality reds at Stratus Vineyards, but they weren't cheap ~$40. Unfortunately, I haven't seen any from them locally.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #62 on: December 09, 2017, 11:35:26 pm »
On my return leg from the Rockies "Canada 150" roadtrip I made this September, I stopped in on a winery called "Intersection".  It was actually an unplanned stop, as my interest was actually meant for Tinhorn Creek (one of my favourite wineries).  However, on the way up to the vinyard, I saw this winery, and decided on the way down that I'd stop in and taste some wine here, just as a comparator.

I'd never seen these guys before, and I don't think their wines were commercially available during my last visit to the Okanagan in 2015.

Anyways, after a tasting, I decided to buy one bottle of their wine.  These are my notes of this bottle.

The bottle I purchased is a 2013 merlot called "Milepost".  Initial nose had very little fruit, but a more stronger smell of what I would call "methane" - kind of the smell of digested fruit sugars (when you eat a lot of fruit and then take a dump).  Not entirely offensive, but not what I would expect of a wine. 

Pushing past that, I noted that wine had a friendly ruby colour, with tears that are characteristic of a wine with a higher alcohol content than advertised (the bottle says 13.4%).  Small sips resulted in a burn similar to that of a shiraz; larger mouthfuls actually gave a good mouth feel (silky and unobtrusive), but once the mouthful was emptied down the throat, the burn of the alcohol was very apparent.  The finish (once the burn was done) was very abrupt.  There are light lingerings of fermented fruit and a slight bitterness.

To be honest, on the one hand, I think I bought the bottle as a mercy move; on the other hand, I'm glad I limited my purchase there to one bottle.  They may have (or might in future produce) other wines that may be better with maturity, but the offerings that I'd tried and the bottle that I'm drinking were (are) quite raw and unrefined.

I'm not certain I'd stop in again in future on my way to or from Tinhorn Creek. 

EDIT: there's also a bit of sulphur on the nose and palate, now that the bottle has aired a bit.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #63 on: December 30, 2017, 11:21:11 pm »
Part of my "Canada 150" roadtrip to the Rockies involved a stopover at a small town (village) called Naramata.  It's to the south of Kelowna and accessible through Penticton, on the southeast shore of Lake Okanagan.  I'd been told there are many good wineries on the Naramata Bench, and the wine I'm about to discuss comes from there.

Tonight, I'm going to talk about a 2016 Pinot Gris from a winery called Tightrope Winery.  The winery came highly recommended by the bed and breakfast manager that we stayed at while we were in Naramata, and their recommendation was what helped me decide to make a stop at this winery.

The Pinot Gris initially started out sharp on the tongue, as the wine hadn't had much time to air out (about 5 seconds after opening :D ).  After a few minutes, the sharpness was much less prominent, and the wine was a lot easier to take on entry.  There are citrus notes to the nose, with some honey, some pear, and some je ne sais quoi - earthiness? dirty rag?  something very subtle, but not entirely unpleasant.

The mouth feel of this pinot gris is almost sparkling-like, almost as if you're expecting to see bubbles in the cup coalesce and rise, and the wine feels light and fruity.  However, this is not a sparkling wine, and the sparkling feel moves aside as the fruity, acidic notes start to become front and centre.  Grapefruit, cherries (?), and apricot seem to rise to the surface, with the cherries a bit of a surprise (and I'm not sure if that's my mind playing tricks on me).  There's a long-ish finish to it, and the aftertaste is alternately sweet and spicy.

The Okanagan has always been lauded for its white wines, and this Pinot Gris is definitely making a strong case in support of this.

This is a wine that I would definitely recommend.   (I'd also strongly recommend the bed and breakfast, a place called Sandy Beach Lodge :) )

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #64 on: December 30, 2017, 11:53:51 pm »
Tightrope had a great Riesling, probably 2015 vintage if you can find it. If you are into Pinot Gris then try to find a bottle of Blue Mountain Reserve Pinot Gris, I’ve seen it at J Webb in Calgary.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline mudferret

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: MMVI WRX
« Reply #65 on: December 31, 2017, 02:04:00 pm »
Spending half my time in Mexico now (work in cartel country, not living at a resort) I enjoy Casa Madero from time to time.

Their Cab is good, 3V is OK, but a little sweet.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2018, 01:27:29 pm »
Tightrope had a great Riesling, probably 2015 vintage if you can find it. If you are into Pinot Gris then try to find a bottle of Blue Mountain Reserve Pinot Gris, I’ve seen it at J Webb in Calgary.

Thanks for the recommendation - I'll certainly keep my eyes open for it.  :)

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #67 on: January 06, 2018, 10:34:01 pm »
So I passed through Oliver during my "Canada 150" roadtrip in September, and stopped for some wine tasting at Hester Creek.  While my previous visit years ago wasn't as fruitful for purchases, this time I actually found a couple of wines that actually warranted purchasing for further tasting.  Tonight's wine was one of them - a wine they called "Character".  It was a blend of 2016 production, with merlot, syrah, malbec, and petit verdot grapes all featured.

The colour is a nice beet red, and a good swirl of the glass brings about tears that show the promise of its contents.  Unfortunately, because my nose isn't working quite right today, I can't really pick up much of a scent from the wine, other than a subtle smell similar to rubbing alcohol (aromatics probably doing the work here).  The tiny bit of "non-alcohol" that I could smell was that of stewed raisins.

The mouth feel on entry is smooth, silky-smooth.  Swishing the wine, there's not much that immediately provokes the tongue, but after a while, a spicy cherry taste (with a slight hint of tobacco) starts to push its way into the mind, with a light touch of tannins creating an astringent and desiccating sensation on the tongue.  There's a short- to mid-length finish to the wine, with what I can only describe as a "red delicious apple" sensation that drives it.  Once the finish diminishes, the mouth feels clean and ready for the next sip.

For someone who hasn't been that keen on BC red wines, this is definitely one that I can recommend looking into.

Hester Creek 2016 "Character" - a merlot, syrah, malbec, and petit verdot mix.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #68 on: March 31, 2018, 11:55:31 pm »
Two for the price of one tonight.

Last night, I cracked open my bottle of "The Flame" by Silver Sage.  Silver Sage is a nice little winery in Oliver, and they have a good selection of wines with interesting names, but their real attraction (if you get the chance to see it) are the two sisters who own the place.  In particular, there's one who leads the tasting, and the tasting is more like an evangelical church sermon than the more distinguished "sip, swirl, spit" that most tastings involve.  In fact, it almost seems like even though you're the one swallowing, she's the one who's getting drunk.  And she's not had a sip throughout.

Amongst their offerings are a selection of ice wines.  Within their ice wine offerings, there's this one (The Flame) that is just a bit out there - much like their owner.  The wine is an ice wine in the most traditional sense... but there's a twist.  You don't call a drink "The Flame" if it doesn't have light and heat.  The liquid poured into your glass isn't quite as thick or heavy as traditional ice wines, and boy does it pack some heat.  Did I mention there was a twist?  That twist comes in the form of a goddamn hot pepper sitting in the middle of the uckfaying bottle.  The sweetness mixes well with the spicy heat coming from the hot pepper - although the heat from the pepper is hot enough that most people would have trouble sitting through a full bottle by themself.  I've yet to finish the last half of the bottle.  And it's uckfaying tasty.  It shall be finished.

Anyways, the real reason why I started this post is for the 2nd half of this double-bill.  I was never really big on red wines from the Okanagan - mainly because BC has been great for white wines primarily, and also to a certain degree, the ice wines.  However, I'm proud to announce that I've found a red wine that compares with some of the Australian and South American stuff out there.

Tonight, I'm sipping on a Serendipity Estate Merlot 2011.  The Serendipity winery was one that was on my way out of Naramata towards Osoyoos during my Canada 150 road trip.  It was an unplanned stop, because I was more interested in going to some of the other wineries that our bed and breakfast host had suggested - but they were all still closed while this one was opened early in the morning.  As the saying goes, "the early bird gets the wino" or something like that.

This merlot has all the characteristics of what you'd expect from a merlot - astringency, smoothness, some dark fruit flavour, some smokiness.  Unlike most Okanagan reds, it doesn't feel rough around the edges, it doesn't attack your tongue like a white blood cell on a foreign body.  The alcohol in the wine doesn't seem overpowering or obnoxious; the mouth feel is like silk sheets.

The initial taste was lightly acidic, but that acidity seemed to feel less prominent as the level in the bottle dropped.  There's some fruity notes, and the strongest of the bunch is dark cherry.  The astringency then takes over, and thankfully the wine doesn't taste like someone's old leather booth at this stage.  There's a bit of an aftertaste, but it's friendly and not attacking, more like a gradual progression towards that sense you feel when you're drinking out of a creek filled with snow melt.

I'm now at my last glass in the bottle, and enjoying every bit of this ruby blessing.  Tears (of wine) flow freely.  I'm feeling bliss.  Just hope I don't wake up with a wicked hangover in the morning.   8)

Offline THE EDJ

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • THE EDJ on Flickr
« Reply #69 on: April 02, 2018, 10:09:32 am »
Serendipity is by far my favourite in the valley. They have a great Cab Franc and also do a really nice Boudreaux style blend. Judy’s (owners/winemaker) story is pretty incredible if you ever get a chance to sit down with her.
THE EDJ on flickr

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #70 on: April 02, 2018, 07:24:21 pm »
Serendipity is by far my favourite in the valley. They have a great Cab Franc and also do a really nice Boudreaux style blend. Judy’s (owners/winemaker) story is pretty incredible if you ever get a chance to sit down with her.

And of course, the whole time I'm typing out my review, I lost sight of the fact that my visit to Serendipity was serendipitous itself.  ;D

I'm hoping to make a return visit to Naramata this summer.  If I can, I will swing by their winery again.  This time, on purpose.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #71 on: May 19, 2018, 11:19:05 pm »
Tonight's white wine review is about Joie Farm Winery's 2016 version of "A Noble Blend".  This was a bottle I picked up during my Canada 150 roadtrip in the late summer of 2017, as I was leaving from Naramata.  This blend is composed of a blend of Gewurztraminer, Riesling, Pinot Blanc and Pinot Auxerrois.  Initially sampled after chilling, the mouthfeel and the taste was almost like that of clean, crisp water, but after a few seconds, some tart aftertaste became apparent.  The nose on the wine was initially fruity, with a little bit of a wet rug kind of smell.  That smell kind of went away with airing, and all that was left was the fruity nose.

One thing I will say, though, is that as the wine gets warmer, the tartness gets stronger and more prominent up-front.  However, the lingering aftertaste became less noticeable, and in fact, after the initial wave of tartness washed over, there seemed to be little to no aftertaste.

I can't say I'm a big fan of this wine, especially after it progressed towards room temperature (it being 20+ degrees outside, so almost 30 degrees indoors here doesn't help), but if you can find a way to keep it chilled, or find a way to finish the bottle quickly, it's not that bad.  I probably won't go out of my way to find another bottle of it though, considering there are so many other wineries in Naramata that produce superior wines.

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #72 on: June 24, 2018, 01:08:01 am »
I was going to write about the Quinta Fererra winery's 2015 Mistura Branca, but I think the wine might've been heat spoiled, and / or wasn't meant to keep for more than a few months in uncontrolled temperature conditions.  By the time I was into my 2nd glass, the wine was taken over by acidity not unlike vinegar.  Too bad.  The starting glass held a lot of promise.

oh well.  :(

Offline Ead

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2018, 11:33:39 pm »
The Judge.  Hester Creek.  Go get it.  You won't be disappointed.   :haplo90:
(sorry, too buzzed right now to write about it, but it's uckfaying awesome.   ;D )