Author Topic: Stock boosting issues  (Read 2570 times)

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: '18 Golf R
Stock boosting issues
« on: November 20, 2012, 01:48:26 pm »
So I was doing research on here and everyone was saying that the stock boost on a 97 ej20k is 14 psi. I bought the car and a boost gauge reads .5 bar of boost. it pulls all the way through the RPM and no sputtering or anything like that. I'm just wondering if it is stock boost and I was reading wrong or is there something that's been turned down, or off? The boost sileniod/gauge looks likes it plumbed right. Any help would be great!  :-\
Kyle
NEL's Build
I don't care if people want to sell used dildos on here as long as they provide useful information for sex toy aficionados.

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
Re: Stock boosting issues
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 08:28:34 pm »
http://www.wrx.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?t=41342

This is where I got the info. So, 13.5 psi is equal to .93 bar says google.
I'm not getting anywhere close to that. Also I don't make max boost until 4500 to 5000.

Anyone?
If anyone knows how to adjust the stock adjuster then i can play with it, but I'd rather not break it.
Kyle
NEL's Build
I don't care if people want to sell used dildos on here as long as they provide useful information for sex toy aficionados.

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: assorted Subarus with scoops, & a tiller, the 2 wheeled kind
Stock boosting issues
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 09:15:18 pm »
Sounds like my 20k when I've got into some low octane fuel and the ECU is restricting boost and timing due to knock. Top up with 94, reset you ECU and see if that does anything.

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 09:21:49 pm »
I could see that, I don't think it had anything over 87 before I bought it. I clacks like uckfay when warm and cold. thanks. i'll try  that. I use Shell 91 V power.
Kyle
NEL's Build

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2012, 02:34:11 am »

So vid I took of a third gear pull. made what looked like .6 bar but still not the .9-1.0 im supposed to get. any guesses?
Went up to 6000 rpm before I let off.  thats the max boost i can make.
Kyle
NEL's Build

Offline GC8REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • The little boxer that could
  • Ride: 1995 Impreza WRX, 1997 Forester S/TB
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2012, 07:15:07 am »
My guess is limp mode or some kind of aftermarket chip/ecu that is controlling the boost. Most likely limp mode. You tried 94? Maybe add some octane booster from crappy tire as well. If it spikes up to normal boost even for a second before going back down then it is limp mode trying to prevent knock.

Wouldn't hurt to take off the ecu cover under your passenger footrest (under the carpet), open up the ecu, and see if there is a tune of some kind in place.

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
Stock boosting issues
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2012, 10:14:33 am »
When mine goes into limp mode due to knock ( low octane) I have to reset my ECU before it will pull full boost again. I don't want to start an octane debate but I find my car likes 94 from petrocan or husky a little better than 91 from shell ( my knock light goes off more with shell 91). 

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2012, 11:02:16 am »
I fill yesterday so i'll pick up an octane boost, then try husky next fill. Also tonight at work I'll take a look at the ECU
Kyle
NEL's Build

Offline ausdave555

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2012, 11:06:59 am »
Reset ecu is 5 turns of the key off to on?

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2012, 11:17:27 am »
I did the 02 way. Drain car of power and leave for a bit.
Kyle
NEL's Build

Offline GC8REX

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • The little boxer that could
  • Ride: 1995 Impreza WRX, 1997 Forester S/TB
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2012, 11:23:18 am »

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2012, 11:54:17 am »
Shouldn't a knock code come up on the OBD? I have the port
Kyle
NEL's Build

Offline Cbxj

• Beards Comin in Nice
Stock boosting issues
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2012, 02:46:49 pm »
I've only used the gc8rex method above. (Disconnect battery, push the brake pedal a couple times then let it sit for a few minutes). I'm not sure if it cleared any codes though. So I may try the method in the link above next time.

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2012, 11:54:07 pm »
So I did the plug the ECU testers in and reset it and still .6 bar. I'm going to look at the ECU tomorrow. If nothing, then I think I'll start buying parts to set up for a better tune. Also was able to use a lot of gas (a little fun in the snow) and will reset the ECU after some good ol 94. and probably a booster.
Kyle
NEL's Build

Offline NiceEqualLengths

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2012, 12:59:58 am »
So i was looking at kijhos vid on his wierd idle(luckily mine just dips down from 800 to 500 sometimes at idle) and in the one video he has a boost tee thats plumbed in the line from the bc to the manifold

!

Ill post pictures and a video of my setup (I got the car with the gauge plumbed) Maybe this is my issue?
Kyle
NEL's Build