Author Topic: 2015 Biking Thread  (Read 18917 times)

Offline Jessica

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 12 FXT
Re: 2015 Biking Thread
« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2015, 09:31:49 pm »
I'm a fan of the hitch rack. Mostly because of short people problems though, and it theoretically keeps the tailgaters at bay a bit more with the bike loaded on.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 09:37:26 am »
I look forward to when it gets warm out and most of the gravel is cleaned up, I want to start riding my road bike again.  I love it more than my mountain bike now, so I want to sell that to help upgrade my old cheap road bike.

Offline HondaBilly

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2006 WRX
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2015, 10:03:58 am »
I ride.  Mostly XC with some downhill in the mix.  I enjoy riding the uphill because I know the downhill will be a good payoff.  I'm actually in the market for a new bike with a relatively hefty budget ($3.5-5K).  Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Offline VTAKLOL

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2002 Ver. 7 STi Sport Wagon
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2015, 10:32:47 am »
I can't waaait to go biking this year. My bike (cheapo from Costco) was stolen from my garage a few years ago so I haven't ridden at all, but the gf and I are both looking to buy new bikes come spring along with carriers for our vehicles.
I'll be getting the Thule roof carrier for my GC8 since I already have a rack, whereas she'll likely go the hitch route for her SF5 (short people problems.)
I think I've narrowed it down to what bike I'll be getting, been looking at the Norco Storm 9.1 or 9.2, just can't decide if the extra 3 gears and hydraulic disc brakes are worth the extra $130 on the 9.1 compared to the 9.2 which has mechanical disc brakes.
I know it's still on the lower end of the scale of bikes, but I've never been too hardcore of a rider and I figure a hardtail like this from Norco will probably last me longer than that full suspension bike I had from Costco ever would have haha.

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2015, 01:34:14 pm »
I can't waaait to go biking this year. My bike (cheapo from Costco) was stolen from my garage a few years ago so I haven't ridden at all, but the gf and I are both looking to buy new bikes come spring along with carriers for our vehicles.
I'll be getting the Thule roof carrier for my GC8 since I already have a rack, whereas she'll likely go the hitch route for her SF5 (short people problems.)
I think I've narrowed it down to what bike I'll be getting, been looking at the Norco Storm 9.1 or 9.2, just can't decide if the extra 3 gears and hydraulic disc brakes are worth the extra $130 on the 9.1 compared to the 9.2 which has mechanical disc brakes.
I know it's still on the lower end of the scale of bikes, but I've never been too hardcore of a rider and I figure a hardtail like this from Norco will probably last me longer than that full suspension bike I had from Costco ever would have haha.

Its cheaper to buy the nicer bike upfront then upgrading later. Hydraulic disc brakes are a great example you couldn't buy a new set for $130 be more like $150 to $200 depend on what the shop or internet is selling and you would still not get the better shifter system with the extra gears.  Need to always think long what are you going to be kicking yourself maybe not this year but next year for not buying originally

Check out brands like Giant that come with hydraulic dics brakes and at at least 8 spd or 9spd shifters at the $550 to $600 price point. 

But that's my 2 cents   

I ride.  Mostly XC with some downhill in the mix.  I enjoy riding the uphill because I know the downhill will be a good payoff.  I'm actually in the market for a new bike with a relatively hefty budget ($3.5-5K).  Any and all suggestions are welcome.

That is a hefty Budget, Just a heads up believe it or not bikes have been selling out in that price point i know i cant get anymore Giant Trances, Reigns, Norco Ranges, or Sights there sold before they even hit the floor. I know that seems to be a trend at a few of the other shops in town even worse if you need an XL bike cause they are limited production. 

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 08:03:09 pm »
When moving parts I have a bunch of stuff left over.. Shimano SLX/XT/XTR 3x9 drivetrain, Magura hydraulic discs, Fox 36 TALAS fork.. if you're up for building a bike I'm sure we can come to an agreement on parts..

I was going to fatbike it all but even a fatty running gear is kinda pricey.  With baby I've got other priorities.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline codester-

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: e39
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 08:18:12 pm »
details on the fork? i could use a new one haha

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 09:41:07 pm »
2009 Fox36 TALAS RC2, straight steerer tube.  In need of servicing - all the oil leaked out of it a few years ago.  Was quoted ~$150 for a service, new seals, and full rebuild from SuspensionWerx in Vancouver.  If you know how to rebuild, it'll probably be far cheaper.

For 26" wheels though.. most people are running 29" or 27.5" these days.

Figure, $200?
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline codester-

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: e39
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2015, 09:43:17 pm »
unfortunately I'm still on 26" wheels haha
ill see about rebuilding and get back to you

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2015, 09:58:07 pm »

For $130 more hydro brakes are really worth it.
When moving parts I have a bunch of stuff left over.. Shimano SLX/XT/XTR 3x9 drivetrain, Magura hydraulic discs, Fox 36 TALAS fork.. if you're up for building a bike I'm sure we can come to an agreement on parts..

I was going to fatbike it all but even a fatty running gear is kinda pricey.  With baby I've got other priorities.

How are those brakes? I plan on doing a fair bit or resort riding and my Saints are good but I'd like a bit more fade resistance.

The thought has also crossed my mind of selling my Stinky and buying something a bit newer. Don't think I could justify buying new though, I'd rather supercharge the s2k than drop $3,500 on a new bike lol. Sometimes you can find smoking deals on Pink Bike, people needing cash, etc. I've always liked Demos, and BottleRockets seem like they'd be a great do-it-all kind of bike.

Offline Dutchy

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 Camaro SS 1le
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2015, 10:55:43 pm »
2009 Fox36 TALAS RC2, straight steerer tube.  In need of servicing - all the oil leaked out of it a few years ago.  Was quoted ~$150 for a service, new seals, and full rebuild from SuspensionWerx in Vancouver.  If you know how to rebuild, it'll probably be far cheaper.

For 26" wheels though.. most people are running 29" or 27.5" these days.

Figure, $200?

what's the travel on your fork?

I'm really really tempted to pick up a dbair.  Just something about it makes me really want one. Also want a Santa cruz v10 which would never be used for its true purpose as my sc blur lt is more than enough bike for what I end up riding.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 11:53:37 pm »
Adjustable - 160-130-100 mm.

Re: Brakes, I got the larget 200mm front and 180mm rear, so it's pretty good. I'm also a bigger guy, so there's more surface area there and definitely helps with cooling.  Nowhere nearly as "bite down so hard you'll fly over the bars onto your face" like the XTs.

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
  • Ride: 2012 Subaru Impreza
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2015, 07:23:10 am »
unfortunately I'm still on 26" wheels haha
ill see about rebuilding and get back to you

Don't give in! 26 for LYFE!

DaDuke99

« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2015, 07:36:57 am »
Yeah, not planning on swapping out anytime either

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 2008 DGM WRX STI
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2015, 09:30:16 am »
what's the travel on your fork?

I'm really really tempted to pick up a dbair.  Just something about it makes me really want one. Also want a Santa cruz v10 which would never be used for its true purpose as my sc blur lt is more than enough bike for what I end up riding.

I ran a DBair on my Aurum last season, and have run DB coils on my DH bikes for over 5 years.
the DBair is godly - tons of adjustability and very little stiction (worlds better than a vivid). be warned that running one really depends on the suspension characteristics of the bike, as it does ramp up at the end of its travel. I upgraded mine to the larger air cartridge, which makes it more linear, and it works well on my Aurum. but not all bikes will work well with an air shock.

coop - few DH brakes on the market match or beat the Saints (m810s and m820s) for power or fade. I run Formula the Ones, and have zero fade (and monster stopping power), but few shops carry Formula parts. if you have any issues while riding, you're pretty much hooped unless you're in Whistler.
there's a good chance that I'll be switching to the new Saints for this season. they seem to match my Ones for stopping power, and every shop in Canada has parts for Saints.

right now I'm in a dilemma. started shopping for a more jump-friendly DH frame and had my mind set on a Banshee Darkside. went into Calgary Cycle last night, and they offered me a screaming deal on an Intense M9 frame.
was initially looking for something with ultra-short chainstays (~16.5"), with 7-7.5" of rear travel, but with the deal they offered now I don't know what to do haha.

decisions, decisions.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline Alex

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Stop saying swag.
  • Ride: 2012 Subaru Impreza
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2015, 09:31:45 am »
I ran a DBair on my Aurum last season, and have run DB coils on my DH bikes for over 5 years.
the DBair is godly - tons of adjustability and very little stiction (worlds better than a vivid). be warned that running one really depends on the suspension characteristics of the bike, as it does ramp up at the end of its travel. I upgraded mine to the larger air cartridge, which makes it more linear, and it works well on my Aurum. but not all bikes will work well with an air shock.

coop - few DH brakes on the market match or beat the Saints (m810s and m820s) for power or fade. I run Formula the Ones, and have zero fade (and monster stopping power), but few shops carry Formula parts. if you have any issues while riding, you're pretty much hooped unless you're in Whistler.
there's a good chance that I'll be switching to the new Saints for this season. they seem to match my Ones for stopping power, and every shop in Canada has parts for Saints.

right now I'm in a dilemma. started shopping for a more jump-friendly DH frame and had my mind set on a Banshee Darkside. went into Calgary Cycle last night, and they offered me a screaming deal on an Intense M9 frame.
was initially looking for something with ultra-short chainstays (~16.5"), with 7-7.5" of rear travel, but with the deal they offered now I don't know what to do haha.

decisions, decisions.

How much are we talkin for that M9 frame?

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2015, 03:17:11 pm »
don't want to get anyone at CC in trouble, but under $3k with a Fox RC4.
 the frame goes for $3900+tax if one paid full price.

one thing it has going for it is that the shock has the same i2i as my Aurum, which means that my DBair will bolt right up. and I'll likely never break it.
m9s are badass, but I'm not sure I need the 3lb extra weight over my Aurum frame, longer chainstays and even more travel.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Offline Longlivetheride

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: Nissan Juke Nismo, Nissan Frontier,Fix - Cronus Rally MSport R2
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2015, 09:40:51 am »
don't want to get anyone at CC in trouble, but under $3k with a Fox RC4.
 the frame goes for $3900+tax if one paid full price.

one thing it has going for it is that the shock has the same i2i as my Aurum, which means that my DBair will bolt right up. and I'll likely never break it.
m9s are badass, but I'm not sure I need the 3lb extra weight over my Aurum frame, longer chainstays and even more travel.

M9 For the win. Hopefully its the neon yellow!!!!

I Still want an Intense M1 with a Dorado  for my wall in the living room 

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2015, 11:06:29 am »
the deal was for the neon red/pink limited edition version with the carbon upper link, but they had other colors available for the same price.

just learned that Trek builds a carbon Session Park edition. $5k (frame only). LOL

Albert Einstein

Offline Dutchy

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2015 Camaro SS 1le
« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2015, 09:33:18 am »

From what I've read the DBair brings more liveliness to my bike. The Santa Cruz Blur LT is fun but the fox rp23 shock kills it at some travel points.

Offline Markkenko

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1998 Version 5 Subaru Impreza WRX STI Type R V-Limited
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2015, 12:44:56 pm »
Subbing to this thread just for future purposes :)

Offline HondaBilly

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2015, 02:40:55 pm »

That is a hefty Budget, Just a heads up believe it or not bikes have been selling out in that price point i know i cant get anymore Giant Trances, Reigns, Norco Ranges, or Sights there sold before they even hit the floor. I know that seems to be a trend at a few of the other shops in town even worse if you need an XL bike cause they are limited production. 

Go figure that 2 of the 4 bikes I'm looking at are going to be hard to find... The Reign and the Range.  I'm also looking at the RM Altitude 750 MSL and a Santa Cruz Bronson Alum spec. S.  Most likely I'm a large frame for all the bikes.  I looked at a Bronson CC on the weekend.  Out of my price range but it was a large frame and it felt pretty darn good.  I'm hoping to at least get out and get some sizing by next week.  I'm not in a huge hurry to buy, but I would like to have something new by June / July so I can put a bunch of KM's on it before the MS bike tour in Hinton.

Offline bigdl

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 09 2.5i Hatch RIP
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2015, 03:46:05 pm »
Go figure that 2 of the 4 bikes I'm looking at are going to be hard to find... The Reign and the Range.  I'm also looking at the RM Altitude 750 MSL and a Santa Cruz Bronson Alum spec. S.  Most likely I'm a large frame for all the bikes.  I looked at a Bronson CC on the weekend.  Out of my price range but it was a large frame and it felt pretty darn good.  I'm hoping to at least get out and get some sizing by next week.  I'm not in a huge hurry to buy, but I would like to have something new by June / July so I can put a bunch of KM's on it before the MS bike tour in Hinton.

How long is that MS bike tour?

Offline HondaBilly

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2015, 04:05:20 pm »
It's 90Km.  50 on the first day, 40 on the second.  It is such a blast of good singletrack/quad trail riding.  The challenge loops are hard but fun.  I've done the last 2 years and loved every minute of it.   

This is an 8 minute video that one of the riders took compiling both days. 

The route map in here: http://mssoc.convio.net/site/TR?fr_id=3953&pg=entry&s_locale=en_ca 
Just scroll down to the Handbook link.  The map is page 9?

Offline Unholysavage

• Patchy Faced
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2015, 08:09:02 pm »
just got back from Calgary Cycle.
said no to the M9, simply because I already have a full on race bike. they're calling Trident Sports tomorrow to order me a stealth black Banshee Darkside frame w/CCDB air!
my beloved Santa Cruz Bullit will be up for sale this spring.

Albert Einstein