Author Topic: Cheap and Fun Honda Si Project - New Engine Time (part deux)  (Read 19803 times)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
Re: Cheap and Fun Honda Si Project - New Engine Time (part deux)
« Reply #225 on: March 18, 2023, 07:09:03 pm »
Thanks to a hookup on Beyond from someone that picked up an EK project and stripped some parts out, I scored the following:
Integra (I presume GSR) seats on EK rails.
eBay header
eBay high flow car
knock off momo wheel (needs hub, Bryan do you have a hookup on NRG quick release?)
Single DIN sony headunit he had lying on his shelf.

If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #226 on: March 20, 2023, 04:29:11 pm »
Yea. I can get you a short hub and quick release. I'll send you a PM.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #227 on: July 04, 2023, 07:22:59 am »
Update, because I'm lazy to update:
Installed the Integra seats. Much comfier and better bolstering. Swapped the EG rails on, and now the drivers seat has a slight wobble. I need to pull it out and verify the rails are tightened down properly.
Finally got around to getting a quick disconnect hub. Because I had to remove the SRS clock spring (cable reel), I don't have a horn wire right now, so I need to wire one in. The horn button also doesn't fit great, so I'm debating between getting a better wheel, or just replacing the horn button.
Also installed the header, because I picked up a new o2 sensor, and it was as much work to replace the header than just the o2 sensor.

I also ordered a BT addon for my s2k OEM stereo, so when I get the car back, that plus the stock radio will be going back in, and the stereo in that will go into the civic.
I still need summer wheels/tires, and I still need to dial in the height on the coilovers.
Also, now the SRS light is on, so I need to defeat that... or pull the bulb. #justoldcarthings

If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline Jukka

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
« Reply #228 on: July 05, 2023, 05:15:48 pm »
If you need a better wheel, I got a couple I'd be willing to sell. I have a Momo Thunder that's missing it's center plate in okay condition, and a Personal Monza wheel that I'm in the process of cleaning up.

I'll let the Momo go cheap too, mainly because it's rough.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #229 on: July 05, 2023, 08:10:55 pm »
Googling "momo thunder" gets me results from 2006. Holy.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #230 on: September 08, 2023, 01:24:04 pm »
Replaced the "cheapo" momo with a used Nardi wheel. Much more solid, much better looking. Waiting on a new horn button before I get pics. Still need to wire in the horn to the hub as well.

The other day, I noticed a whirring sound from the rear. I suspected wheel bearings, so I jacked up the car, and checked them out. Both wheels had no bearing noises, however the rear passenger spun freely... With the ebrake engaged.

Pulled the caliper apart, and the piston was partially extended. Pushed it back in using a c-clamp, and it wouldn't extend any more. Brakes not ebrake would work. Ordered a rebuild kit, pulled the caliper off, and the ebrake mechanism was completely seized. I couldn't find any corrosion or pitting on the piston, and figured the entire thing was just borked, so I grabbed a replacement one.

Slapped on the new (remanned) caliper, bled the brakes, and it's much happier. Ebrake works on both sides, no more rubbing sounds, and the brakes grab wonderfully.

The next two issues I'd like to tackle are that the entire exhaust rattles like mad on startup. I suspect the bushings are shot, but it's also one big exhaust shop special with no cat or resonators. I'd like to replace it with anything aftermarket, but I'm too cheap to even buy the $300 ebay options.

On top of that, when you let off the gas to coast or shift, you can hear a very small *tick* sound from outside the car (windows down). It's almost like an arcing sound. I wonder if one of the leads is somehow shorting, or if an engine mount is shot. A cursory visual inspection doesn't show me much, and I'm also lazy.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #231 on: September 13, 2023, 01:47:07 pm »
You're overthinking it. Wait until the tick becomes a big clunk and then start to worry about it.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #232 on: September 13, 2023, 01:58:07 pm »
After thinking on it, I'm pretty sure it's the ebay header -> exhaust connection. I gotta lift it up and replace the bolts with spring bolts again, and see if that fixes it.

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #233 on: October 21, 2023, 04:01:03 pm »
Car is up for sale, as I have a new vehicle on the way. It's on kijiji/fb for 6k, but I would let it go for less if I can avoid the headache of the public.