Author Topic: SpdDmn's 2008 WRB FXT Sports Limited - Let's get this party started!  (Read 12438 times)

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: MY08 SG9 FXT
Re: SpdDmn's 2008 WRB FXT Sports Limited - Let's get this party started!
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2017, 11:55:35 am »
More install, plus Subaru goodies!

The gauge output wires for Aquamist and 4-way Innovate come from the center console to my gauge cluster, which I WAS going to run an SMY cluster surround...... But after finding the right one used for a great deal, it turns out the FXT gauge cluster is NOT the same as a GD :(  Instead, we're ordering this Ortiz cluster surround.

I've got a sweet JDM FSTi cluster I bought used a while back, going in while everything is pulled apart. Still need to get it odometer-matched to mine.
Although I was a little worried about bright spots in my gauges, I went to put in the 74 SMD1 mini wedge LEDs from Diode Dynamics. BUT, they're *just* too big to fit through the holes. Stock cluster bulbs for now!

Stock vs JDM (STI tach to 9000rpm... km's to 180 :P )

My Christmas order of Subaru parts came in too! I got (or had stashed for this occasion):
- Double DIN navigation unit surround for the upper dash, complete with mounting brackets
- genuine Sports STI lip (with hardware)...... good god this was $moneyyyy$
- JDM FSTi "cross sports" grille with the STi badge (birthday present last year  ;D )

I'm going to join the Nexus7 headunit install crew, using the double DIN surround. I've got AutoMate and Android Auto APK's kicking around and am pretty familiar with rooting and flashing ROMs (but not ****ing with kernels), but I need to read up some more on what wiring & adapters will give me the cleanest install.
I'm crossing my fingers that EcuTek gets around to porting their ECUConnect app to Android, so I can datalog and watch parameters in real time through the Nexus7! Y'know, Android makes up more sales than iPhones these days.... jus' sayin  ::)  For now, I can always mount my Cobb AP, especially while my setup is new and we're modifying things on the fly.
Rachel M.
2008 WRB Forester XT Sports Ltd  [Build
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo
2007 OBP Forester XT [Journal] [RIP]  |  2002 Aspen White WRX  [ST2 167] [RIP]
2006 Kawasaki EX250 [Sold]  |  2007 Honda CBR600 RR [Sold]  |  2015 KTM RC390

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #51 on: January 13, 2017, 11:56:51 am »
Annnd a few pics, how she sits at the moment!

Wire up boost control solenoid

dat booty! :biggrin:
#rodknoc

Things to do this weekend:

- get midpipe - axleback welded up and installed
- wire boost control solenoid
- fabricate / put together intake (Cobb SF box + Apex'i filter?)
- install intercooler
- flash basemap from Airboy Tuning (thanks Sunny!)
- alignment? probly overrated..
Rachel M.
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #52 on: January 13, 2017, 01:55:41 pm »
So awesome  ^-^

Offline thedude

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2002 Toyota Tundra
« Reply #53 on: January 13, 2017, 02:06:46 pm »
Love the vanity plate!
2008 Aprilia Shiver 750 - Sold 10/02/2017
2013 SWP Subaru WRX Hatchback - Sold 01/04/2022

thedude's 2013 WRX Build Thread

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #54 on: January 13, 2017, 02:58:00 pm »
Any reason you went with the aging Nexus 7 over something newer? I considered it, but with how sluggish my N7 feels these days, I'm glad I never went through with it.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2017, 04:08:43 pm »
Any reason you went with the aging Nexus 7 over something newer? I considered it, but with how sluggish my N7 feels these days, I'm glad I never went through with it.

Honestly, I haven't considered anything else! And now you've got me exploring.... I AM a little worried about slow response... Like the Samsung Tabs at the office. Ugh. But it can't be worse than a WinCE based headunit circa 2008, right!

There're a lot of write ups using the N7. The dimensions will work for the double DIN pod. I'd rather a pure Google ROM (I know I could fiddle with teh interface...). The price is right ($100 or less), and they're pretty available on Kijiji.

Any advice on something newer? How's this ZenPad? Huawei looks a little too pricey..
Rachel M.
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2017, 04:16:17 pm »
Honestly, tablets are a dying breed. The only ones that seem to still be doing well are iPads, but I wouldn't go that way either.

This is why I opted to go with a single din for the S2000 that supports bluetooth, and just use my phone with the Android Auto app.

The 5.7" of the Nexus 6P isn't far off from the 7" of the N7.

And the GTI natively supports it on the 8" screen.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2017, 04:32:23 pm »
Honestly, tablets are a dying breed. The only ones that seem to still be doing well are iPads, but I wouldn't go that way either.

This is why I opted to go with a single din for the S2000 that supports bluetooth, and just use my phone with the Android Auto app.

The 5.7" of the Nexus 6P isn't far off from the 7" of the N7.

And the GTI natively supports it on the 8" screen.

I hate you.

Mounting my phone sorta sucks any way you look at it. The 6P has the same dimensions as my phone, so it would be too small for the double DIN opening, but still too heavy for most mounts.
It's a big difference! Still in the R&D planning phase.. thanks for bouncing ideas :)

note to self: Asus ZenPad S 8 dimensions & specs are similar (the ZenPad 7 sucks on specs)
Rachel M.
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2017, 04:56:34 pm »
I stole an idea off r/s2000

http://imgur.com/a/3hxTv#cD6bVGu

I bought a magnetic mount, and put the mount plate in my case. So it's all magnetic (and rock solid).

Phone won't fall off, even during autox.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00JHME0YO/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I didn't even put the base plate onto the phone, I just shoved it between the phone and the case, in case I changed phones.

I doubled up with a mount that uses screws and goes under the trim. It's s2k specific, but I know there are variants for the forester and other models out there.

Offline Claw

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 05LGT | [s]06S2k[/s]
« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2017, 11:28:15 pm »
^ Good idea.. I've been looking for something like that to add to my Modifry bracket for my phone.
They're going to park their car over there. You're going to park your car over here. Get it?

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #60 on: January 17, 2017, 06:18:10 pm »
14-15 January 2017

First start up this weekend!!!  ;D  ;D

Final things were installing the IAG air-oil separator:

Topping up with all new fluids (Motul Gear Competition 75W140 in rear diff and transmission, Motul Sport Ester 5W50 engine oil, and Motul Inugel Optimal Ultra coolant):

We messed around getting the GR STI intercooler installed for WAY too long. Gonna be a PITA to remove it for any future work...
The stock splitter *just* fits, but I might modify my v7 JDM STI splitter to seal around it (it's the same dimensions as the stock FXT, but not as deep/tall), or spend the big $$$ on a Subtle Solutions splitter, which has the same dimensions as well - nothing to fit the longer and wider GR intercooler. Maybe something custom-fab...
You can also see my temporary Tial BOV installed. Mine will be Tial's blue colour, to match the other accessories :P

The air intake and box setup turned out mint! The shop had Cobb's SF intake box for GD on hand, and this Apex'i intake cone filter.. which turned out to fit perfectly in the Forester!

That Mac tool on the coolant overflow is a neat tool - it creates a vortex of air passing from the shop air hose to an outlet tube. That causes a vacuum from the car's cooling system lines out through another tube, which is measured by the pressure valve on the overflow tank. If pressure starts to increase while the vacuum is applied, you know you have a leak in the cooling system, before you fill up with coolant!

READYYYYY......

GO!!

Gauges and Accessport are showing things!  8)

VIDEOS
--> start up, and the exhaust from the underside.
It fires up quicker than any Subaru I've owned, no crank-crank-crank-fire, just FIRE :P Maybe due to the larger ground we added.

Rachel M.
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #61 on: January 17, 2017, 06:20:01 pm »
Exhaust welding started Sunday - my downpipe was done in the summer, but the midpipe to Apex'i WS2 muffler needed to be fabricated.
I've never had equal length headers before, and it does sound different. And with the 3" all the way back, virtually straight the whole way... it's pretty damn loud!!

When the downpipe was fitted up in August:  (it still mates up to a stock catback, kinda handy)

Tacking the 90 degree bends, and tacking the muffler in place.
Meticulously positioned just past the bumper, so it (hopefully) doesn't melt, and angled pretty straight coming out:

Pretty welds!

Plus in-house custom fabrication badges! :D

On start up, we had CELs from two different oxygen sensors we tried were toast. Today, my new replacement front O2 sensor came in, so we can install that right away. The exhaust hangers were welded on as well. We need an alignment, but that should be it... Possible first test drive tonight!!  ;D
Rachel M.
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Offline Airboy

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • Airboy Tuning
  • Ride: 06 WRX
« Reply #62 on: January 17, 2017, 09:44:06 pm »
Ricer Alert! Ricer Alert!  :haplo90:

You can also see my temporary Tial BOV installed. Mine will be Tial's blue colour, to match the other accessories :P

Gain 50 ft-lbs, ask me how! :-)

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #63 on: January 17, 2017, 11:39:11 pm »
Jebus.
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline kijho

• WSC Moderator
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
    • @Shpixx
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD | i used to have a cool wrx
« Reply #64 on: January 18, 2017, 08:35:46 am »
Ohhh my..

Offline deedz

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Ride: 2004 Subaru WRX Sport Wagon JBP [1st Subaru]
« Reply #65 on: January 29, 2017, 11:06:26 pm »
Was the GR TMIC just difficult to install due to the turbo?  Mine slips off/on just as easy as the original FXT TMIC.

I thought I would let you know that I have an 04-08 Process West FXT splitter which accomodates the larger TMIC perfectly.  PM me if interested at all.  It's just collecting dust.
| 04 WRX [STi'd] Sport Wagon JBP | V7 EJ207 | V8 6-Speed/R180 | SOLD 02 WRX Sport Wagon PSM | Rebuilt EJ205 | 4EAT | SOLD 04 Forester XT PSM | 5-Speed | 07 Forester XT Limited OBP | Built EJ257 | 4EAT | SOLD 03 Subaru Forester XS Premium AW | No Engine | 11 Subaru Outback 3.6R Limited CBS | EZ36 | 5EAT | 99 GMC Sierra Classic SLE Z71 SGM | 6.0L LQ4/4L65E Swap | 05 Chevrolet Silverado SS AWD SBM | 6.0L LQ9 | 4L65E |

Offline nosale

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: SG XTi
« Reply #66 on: January 30, 2017, 12:35:08 am »
Was the GR TMIC just difficult to install due to the turbo?  Mine slips off/on just as easy as the original FXT TMIC.

I thought I would let you know that I have an 04-08 Process West FXT splitter which accomodates the larger TMIC perfectly.  PM me if interested at all.  It's just collecting dust.
If you're not interested in the splitter, I kinda do need one.

deedz... I sent u a PM.

/hijackthread

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #67 on: January 30, 2017, 09:35:35 am »

PM'd you too! Looks like a sweet setup for the bigger TMIC!
Rachel M.
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #68 on: January 30, 2017, 11:04:14 am »
Just a quick update (and a lack of photos)...

We drove the car a little on a basemap, not yet tuned, to see if anything came up before it gets fully tuned. It was making some ugly noises starting off in first gear, coming from the driveshaft. We had installed the FXT crossmember, which you can see some excellent pics here, showing how it's quite a bit different than the STI one, causing the driveshaft to be mis-aligned and making the horrific hammering when starting off in mine.

You can sort of see here, where the driveshaft would come in contact with the FXT crossmember:

So switching to the STI crossmember solved that, BUT now the downpipe which was custom-fit for the stock FXT crossmember was hitting the STI one.. It was also super close against the firewall, causing the v-band clamp at the turbo to leak significantly. This past weekend, we got the lower section of the downpipe re-fitted so it wouldn't hit the STI crossmember, which also shifted it so it's further from the firewall. AND, I didn't have to re-wrap all that pretty DEI wrap! :P The axleback also sits a little closer to the bumper, as tucked up as possible without melting stuff, heh.

We had it off and on a couple times this weekend again, and it seemed easier (maybe I'm getting better at it.. lol) even with the AOS taking up space with its many hoses. Swapped out the fancy clamp on the lower y-pipe hose for an ordinary worm-gear one which helped clearance down there, so it's not leaking at all now.

The good news is, it's sorted out enough it could be tuned this week, if timings and weather work out.
The sucky news is, I have a transmission issue. I know, 6MTs never fail.... except this one :(  It's making some harsh vibrations in 5th and 6th gears, which were even worse when I ran through the gears on the hoist (not masked by soft winter tires or the noise of the downpipe like our roadtesting. Ryan thinks it might be coming from the center bearing, NOT synchros or gears themselves, so there's that at least!
Rachel M.
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
Re: SpdDmn's 2008 WRB FXT Sports Limited - 6MT center diff rebuilt + Ortiz pod
« Reply #69 on: February 15, 2017, 02:40:00 pm »
4-5 February 2017

My tranny was making some awful noises on the shakedown drives, so we had to sort that out before the tune. We first thought was due to the driveshaft hitting the crossmember, since we didn't swap out to the STI one originally. Did that and then found the downpipe hitting the STI crossmember, so our welder had to re-fit the lower portion. Still no luck.... So a couple weekends ago, Ryan pulled the center differential out of my 6 speed to replace all the bearings. We've come across the center diff howl in one of my other FXTs but never with a 6MT.. Guess they're not 100% bulletproof :P

Crossmember, downpipe and driveshaft out, shifter and reverse lockout cable disassembled (for the second time in <2 months!):

Something you don't see every day (hopefully). Look at that expensive blue lifeblood...
Center differential gears and bearing(s), with the DCCD in the background. Disassembled and removed the journal bearing that was likely causing the noise. I think the yellow plastic thing in the housing is a sensor for reverse gear (which wasn't reliably turning on the reverse lights):

See the pitting around the races inside? Click to zoom in, pretty crazy!

Cleaned up the rest; there was some scoring on that bearing in the foreground. Press-fit the two new bearings on that other gear thing.

This is everything re-assembled into the transmission, before replacing the housing. Which caused a lot of cursing to get each gear/bearing to line up properly...

Seems successful now! We drove it and didn't get the bad vibrations in 5th and 6th gears; in fact I couldn't hear anything over the exhaust... as you'd hope for a transmission, right!

Next day I installed my custom Ortiz cluster surround for the Innovate ECB-1 4-way and Aquamist HFS-3 gauges!
Innovate seriously needs to consider a quick disconnect at the gauge itself, because I spent ages pulling all my neatly tucked wires back from the center console, through the pod, and tucking again. Argh! Aquamist was a single ethernet-looking cable that plugged into the back of the gauge.

Overall, I like it. The finish is matte painted which could get damaged easily, and should NOT have yellow microfiber towels (or paper towels) used on it... Heh. The Innovate doesn't push-fit very well; I need to add some tape to get it pushed in fully, once all the tuning is done. Also have a silver bezel for it, so both gauges will match!

(haven't got the JDM cluster odometer-matched yet)

Rachel M.
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Offline SubieRoo

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: Is slow. And beaten up..
« Reply #70 on: February 18, 2017, 09:43:52 am »
You must be getting pretty stoked for the final product - getting close. I can't wait to buy and build my Foz.

Offline seat safety switch

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Snowmen with fezzes are ardent rally fans.
    • seat safety switch
  • Ride: Junk
« Reply #71 on: February 18, 2017, 09:17:36 pm »
Huh, it looks easier than I thought to replace bearings in a centre diff. I had figured it would be like a rear diff, all kinds of backlash settings and dial indicators.

Does the 6-speed take a replacement gasket or did you just use a glob of RTV to hold the casing on? My 5-speed tailshaft housing is leaking like crazy and I'm guessing the stock gasket is worn out.

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #72 on: February 20, 2017, 01:36:05 pm »
Huh, it looks easier than I thought to replace bearings in a centre diff. I had figured it would be like a rear diff, all kinds of backlash settings and dial indicators.

Does the 6-speed take a replacement gasket or did you just use a glob of RTV to hold the casing on? My 5-speed tailshaft housing is leaking like crazy and I'm guessing the stock gasket is worn out.

There wasn't a gasket, we used "The Right Stuff" (that's the brand name) black gasket maker silicone.
Rachel M.
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo

Offline Canuckrz

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 06 Lexus IS350
« Reply #73 on: February 20, 2017, 01:51:47 pm »
I've used "the right stuff" before, its pretty popular in the Toyota communities. Its expensive, but it works damn well and is reasonably easy to find in a pinch because crappy tire stocks it.

Also those pics of the center diff bearings #triggered.

Offline SpdDmn

• Beards Comin in Nice
« Reply #74 on: February 20, 2017, 02:37:31 pm »
Not too much going on this weekend on the Foz, but I did get this sweet Process West TMIC splitter from deedz! :D  Fits like a glove to the GR TMIC and my scoop.

Peaking inside the (super JDM scoop, you can sorta see the fins directing air onto the TMIC:

Can't wait to see what it does on the dyno after tuning!

I've used "the right stuff" before, its pretty popular in the Toyota communities. Its expensive, but it works damn well and is reasonably easy to find in a pinch because crappy tire stocks it.

Also those pics of the center diff bearings #triggered.

That's good to know, I thought it would be much harder to source!
Rachel M.
2015 Porsche Macan Turbo