Author Topic: TPMS question  (Read 1078 times)

Offline Fry

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Swiggity Swooty
  • Ride: Oscar meyer weiner
TPMS question
« on: November 01, 2017, 12:09:46 pm »
I've never had TPMS installed on my tires in any of my vehicles over the years. I drive a 2017 outback limited now and I am replacing the awful stock tires (that already have TPMS) with some 225/65r17 yokohama geolandar g015's.

But, im getting TPMS installed in them and doing the installation of the rims on the vehicle myself, how the hell does the TPMS connect to my vehicle? I dont have to do any sort of syncing do I?
It's an 08.
It was a lemon before it even achieved rebuilt status.

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
Re: TPMS question
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2017, 04:10:47 pm »
You're replacing your tires, but keeping your rims?  TPMS is attached to the valve stem, so if you're keeping your rims and your rims already have TPMS, I'm not sure what your problem is? 

Or are you concerned about keeping the rim in the same corner?  Subaru's system doesn't keep track of location, so even tire rotations won't cause you any issue. 
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Fry

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Swiggity Swooty
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 04:13:14 pm »
You're replacing your tires, but keeping your rims?  TPMS is attached to the valve stem, so if you're keeping your rims and your rims already have TPMS, I'm not sure what your problem is? 

Or are you concerned about keeping the rim in the same corner?  Subaru's system doesn't keep track of location, so even tire rotations won't cause you any issue.

All new rims and tires, with TPMS installed in the new rims. Found the answer myself though.
It's an 08.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2017, 04:39:37 pm »
If you have TPMS on your valve stems they're already sync'd to the car. If you add new TPMS units to the rims you'll need to get them sync'd. Any shop who adds TPMS to your rims will take care of it for you.

Offline Fry

• Beards Comin in Nice
  • Swiggity Swooty
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2017, 04:43:45 pm »
If you have TPMS on your valve stems they're already sync'd to the car. If you add new TPMS units to the rims you'll need to get them sync'd. Any shop who adds TPMS to your rims will take care of it for you.

Yeah unfortunately im getting the rims, tpms, and tires installed together elsewhere then shipped as a single package.
I assume they can sync them through the stem anyways.
It's an 08.

Offline Asstuna

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Danger zone
  • Ride: 19 Fiesta ST, 17 Ram
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 09:59:44 am »
It's likely a simple scanning tool.

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 10:48:02 pm »
When you swap between 2 sets of wheels with TPMS sensors, some vehicles will self-learn the sensor automatically when you swap wheels. After start up the car or drive around, the sensors will learn, and function normally... Other times (toyotas and nissans do this) you need to use a TPMS tool to preform a "manual" relearn on the sensors in order for the computer to understand what's going on.

I haven't personally done any TPMS stuff on a subaru, so I can't say for sure.