Author Topic: AM/FM radio does not work  (Read 1154 times)

Offline WRBSTI

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2009 wrx sti hatch
AM/FM radio does not work
« on: March 12, 2018, 09:10:44 pm »
I bought my car with a Panasonic avic8200nex from the previous owner. The only issue i have is that the radio does not work, i can hear a ton of static with a tiny amount of music actually playing.. (very faint, almost non-existent) I was wondering if any of you knew what my problem might be? thanks

Offline diamondedge

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • stir fryin' noobs
  • Ride: 2007 WRX, 2008 spec.B
Re: AM/FM radio does not work
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2018, 09:46:00 pm »
I bought my car with a Panasonic avic8200nex from the previous owner. The only issue i have is that the radio does not work, i can hear a ton of static with a tiny amount of music actually playing.. (very faint, almost non-existent) I was wondering if any of you knew what my problem might be? thanks

Pull the trim and unbolt the radio; check the see that the antenna plug is in the back of the device and seated nicely, and also confirm the ground cable connector is attached to the side of the
radio chassis. I didn't do the ground so I got static/whizzy hiss on the radio until I remembered.

:)

^Click^
sig by shpixx x diamondedge

Offline RockThePylon

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ghetto apostle
  • Ride: '03 WRX ricekar
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2018, 10:12:46 pm »
You need an adapter for the antenna. I betcha previous owner didn't have it and just #yoloswag didn't hook it up.

Looks like dis - https://www.amazon.ca/Metra-40-SB10-2005-Up-Antenna-Adapter/dp/B000K53QAQ

You can probably find a better price though. That's just an example.

And of course, pull it out first and confirm.
I may scream like a dainty lady, but I punch like a fairly strong 11-year-old.

Offline StreetsTheWay

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: 2020 Tacoma TRD Offroad || 2007 WRX STi || 2002 WRX Wagon
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2018, 11:49:59 am »
I've been hunting for a good deal on the 8200NEX for about 6 months now, but money is tight and I can't fork out a grand for a new head unit. I don't even necessarily need it, I just want a solid current model update from the stock '07 head unit and from what I found, this is the one I think I would like most.

How do you find using that thing (minus the radio reception problem you've run into)? Is it something you'd recommend getting or is there something you would prefer to replace it with?

Offline WRBSTI

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2018, 09:48:53 pm »
I've been hunting for a good deal on the 8200NEX for about 6 months now, but money is tight and I can't fork out a grand for a new head unit. I don't even necessarily need it, I just want a solid current model update from the stock '07 head unit and from what I found, this is the one I think I would like most.

How do you find using that thing (minus the radio reception problem you've run into)? Is it something you'd recommend getting or is there something you would prefer to replace it with?
I have really enjoyed it so far and would recommend it if you plan on using most of its features. all i use it for is Bluetooth and sometimes navigation so i don't necessarily need the top end model. How ever its a great unit and absolutely love using it, i plan and taking advantage of some more of its features come summer and when i get money for some parts :D I haven't done much research on different models and you probably know more about the avic8200nex than me. What ever you end up getting will definitely be a huge upgrade over the stock unit.

Offline WRBSTI

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2018, 10:02:32 pm »
Pull the trim and unbolt the radio; check the see that the antenna plug is in the back of the device and seated nicely, and also confirm the ground cable connector is attached to the side of the
radio chassis. I didn't do the ground so I got static/whizzy hiss on the radio until I remembered.

:)
Thanks a ton i will definitely look into that.

Offline WRBSTI

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 10:03:43 pm »
You need an adapter for the antenna. I betcha previous owner didn't have it and just #yoloswag didn't hook it up.

Looks like dis - https://www.amazon.ca/Metra-40-SB10-2005-Up-Antenna-Adapter/dp/B000K53QAQ

You can probably find a better price though. That's just an example.

And of course, pull it out first and confirm.
I will pull everything out and check the wiring first, but thanks for the tip ill look out for it :D