Author Topic: Old Guy, New(ish) WRX  (Read 720 times)

Offline Cdn_Bodizafah

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: 2018 WRX
Old Guy, New(ish) WRX
« on: October 25, 2020, 07:31:33 pm »
Hello WSC folks,

As the title says I'm an older owner (51 this year), and after deciding I needed a change from BMW (my last being a 323i) a friend suggested a WRX to satisfy my want to continue driving performance sedans and all season drivability.

Picked up a new to me WRX Sport-tech March 2019 in Edmonton and haven't looked back since.

I'll say the fit and finish of the WRX is not what I was used to with the BMW but the flip side is that the fun factor is simply off the charts!  I absolutely love driving my little beastie.  I gave it a full year of ownership to see if I would keep it and here we are October 2020 and I'm slowing building the list of things I want to do with the car as to date its just been a muffler delete and some little cosmetic bits and pieces here and there.

I'm in SW Calgary and love to get out as much as possible to drive. Hope to meet some fellow enthusiasts here, get out on some drives, compare notes, show appreciations for the great builds people do and just generally enjoy the brand and the people.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
Re: Old Guy, New(ish) WRX
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 09:06:26 am »
Welcome!

Other than the FA engine, any reason you went WRX over STi?
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 12:01:05 pm »
Congrats, they're fantastic cars for what they are. I loved my 07, and almost bought a 2015 back when you had to order them 2mo out before the car was even built lol. Hoping they bring back the wagon with the next gen so I can return.

I might have missed it, but did you go 6MT or CVT?

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
  • Ride: 07 STI, 15 Odyssey
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 08:11:28 pm »
Congrats and welcome!  We like old people here.  Look at this guy, we keep him in a senior's home and check up on him once a year. 

http://westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=58007.msg712063#msg712063
uckfay, Johnny with the back-handed slap. You're clearly the Oracle.

Check out my work on:  Instagram  FaceBook  Flickr  YouTube

Offline Cdn_Bodizafah

• Baby Faced
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2020, 05:37:19 am »
Thanks for the welcomes folks, appreciated!

In order for the questions:

@tperkins: I went WRX over STI primarily because when I was shopping there were none available with the low lip spoiler.  I have some (personal preference only - no hate mail please! :) ) reasons why I'm not a fan of the giant wings on the back so for me that was an instant no.  That was the first and biggest reason. Secondly at the time, of the STI's that I'd driven, all had a pretty harsh ride vs the WRX which felt a little more daily driven friendly so that added more to the "no" column for the STI. Lastly of the STI's I looked at, I felt they were very overpriced used compared to new in both Calgary, Lethbridge and Edmonton whereas the WRX had a more attractive price tag and ultimately why I purchased in Edmonton vs Calgary as the price was almost 3k lower in Edmonton vs Calgary for the same WRX.

IF I can get a low spoiler version when the "new" STI is revealed AND if its the powerhouse monster they are hinting at, I could realistically see adding an STI to the garage after Subaru has had a year to work out the bugs.

@coop3422: Sorry! I should have said that right in the first post.  Manual all the way!  That was one of the reasons my friend suggested a WRX as I love rowing my own gears.

I really enjoy the car and (as coop3422 says) they ARE fantastic cars for what they are.  Its super fun to drive in general and when you can really pull the pin on them in a track environment, they are just a blast!

Cheers!

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: HawkEyE
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2020, 12:02:46 pm »
Congrats & welcome to WSC!

Don't forget to check out "Parts for sale" you may find some good deals.

I had the honor of owning a brand new 15 WRX and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Also remember the Subie Wave :)

DaDuke99

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 04:16:54 pm »

Did you, though?  ;)
Welcome to WSC Cdn_Bodizafah! Great colour choice  ^-^

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 06:04:14 pm »
I can't believe you went from a BMW to a Subaru...
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline likeawind

• Patchy Faced
  • Ride: HawkEyE
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 09:40:22 pm »
Did you, though?  ;)
Yes I did, had I not lost my job I’d still be driving it. I’m enjoying the HB as well as much as I did the 15 and no lease or payment lol

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 11:56:07 pm »
What does the STI have over the WRX these days?  Steering ratio and stronger drivetrain, but EJ motor and 6 pot brakes are a downside for me. 

I wouldn't let the wing stop me if I wanted the STI though!  There are plenty of WRX owners who would be willing to trade trunks + cash. 

Offline RedBimmer93

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2008 Legacy Spec B, and Two Mopar gas guzzlers
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 02:03:02 pm »
I did 6 years ago. No regrets

Offline coop3422

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 2015 Audi S4 6MT
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 01:45:59 pm »
I'll possibly be going from an Audi to a Subaru in a few years. Depends on what Subaru does with the next gen really.

What does the STI have over the WRX these days?  Steering ratio and stronger drivetrain, but EJ motor and 6 pot brakes are a downside for me. 

I wouldn't let the wing stop me if I wanted the STI though!  There are plenty of WRX owners who would be willing to trade trunks + cash. 

For the street, the current gen WRX is the way to go IMO. They even created that newer trim line with the Recaro's and STi brakes. Although that is approaching Golf R money.

That said, if the rumors are true about next gen, I'll likely go STi. If it is close to 400hp, it'll close to my S4 but should be several 100 lbs lighter. My biggest hope is we see the return of a wagon.

Offline Cdn_Bodizafah

• Baby Faced
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2020, 02:20:35 pm »
Thanks for additional welcomes and suggestions!

Congrats & welcome to WSC!

Don't forget to check out "Parts for sale" you may find some good deals.

Also remember the Subie Wave :)

I will check out the parts area for some deals here and there.  I just purchased a new set of winter tires and they get installed tomorrow so looking forward to some added grip (my fronts are shot but the rears are good) all the way around. Its funny you mention the Subie wave.  I thought that was only a thing with riders but yeah, first week or so I had the car I was seeing people wave at me and I was wtf? I don't know him/her/them but I figured it out.

Did you, though?  ;)

Thanks! I love black (323i was black, my Dakota was black).  Its just a color that looks SO good when clean and detailed.

I did really enjoy the BMW but it was time for a change and I didn't want to spring for a new or newish 3 series so went for all out fun which I have in spades with the WRX.  My girlfriend says she actually prefers the WRX to the BMW which kind of surprised me tbh.

I'll possibly be going from an Audi to a Subaru in a few years. Depends on what Subaru does with the next gen really.

For the street, the current gen WRX is the way to go IMO. They even created that newer trim line with the Recaro's and STi brakes. Although that is approaching Golf R money.

That said, if the rumors are true about next gen, I'll likely go STi. If it is close to 400hp, it'll close to my S4 but should be several 100 lbs lighter. My biggest hope is we see the return of a wagon.

I hear you on that one.  Depends on what Subaru will be asking coin wise for the new STI and if it lives up to the hyped expectations.  I've recently driven an RS5 and that was super fun to drive though they are up there price wise.  Lots of great choices out there for fun vehicles.  I'm not married to any particular brand and I'd own another BMW again if the opportunity presents itself and it works money wise. Life's too short not to enjoy lots of car fun!

Offline jellynuts

• Vendor
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Delay No More
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2020, 11:08:42 pm »
...and I'd own another BMW again if the opportunity presents itself and it works money wise. Life's too short not to enjoy lots of car fun!

But can you get over those new kidney grills?  Ugh.

Offline Cdn_Bodizafah

• Baby Faced
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2020, 07:17:59 pm »
But can you get over those new kidney grills?  Ugh.

No, the new kidney grills are horrible.

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '19 Sti
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2020, 06:00:29 pm »
Hi and welcome.  Another old guy here (49) but not new to subies-. I've had an '11 wrx, a '18 wrx, which I owned for a year and then traded in for a 19 STI. There were several reasons for the trade -nainly because I was extremely dissspointed in the '18 after owning the '11. Quite frankly, of the 3, the 11 was the best, though the STI does beat it in some points.  I also always kinda disliked the wing, but after having one for a year and a half, I really like it!!! It doesn't affect the visibility at all, and after all, like the hood scoop, it's part of what makes a subaru, a subaru.  Lol. I am extremely happy I traded my 18 for the 19 STI, but that is also a personal preference. I can see living in the city that the wrx is a much better daily!
I too, have kept all my subies stock other than "pretty parts" and an axleback, and am also now just planning and thinking of starting to do a big of modds.   
If you can afford it, and haven't got one yet, I would extremely suggest getting an accessport now as in this week!!!!!  The black friday sales are on, and I just got mine for $816 cdn last week.  Reason I stress now, is last year they were running around $780, thus year not on sale would have been about $ 920+.  Next year they will most likely be over $1000 for us poor Canadians! And they are essential before doing anything else to the car!
I'll admit I am old. In my day of tuning cars, all you needed was a long flat blade screwdriver, a custom bent 9/16" wrench, and a timing light!

Offline djteako

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: '19 Sti
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2020, 06:03:48 pm »
Also, just a heads up, the weakest link in your car right now is the tranny!!  Don't do any aggressive launches!!!!! ( First hand experience - and another main reason why I traded for the STI. I broke a few teeth off first gear the second time I ever tried to launch it!,)
I'll admit I am old. In my day of tuning cars, all you needed was a long flat blade screwdriver, a custom bent 9/16" wrench, and a timing light!