Author Topic: WSC gone private  (Read 827 times)

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
WSC gone private
« on: February 24, 2021, 03:11:49 pm »
Someone mentioned to me that WSC has turned private if you don't have an account. I opened up a tab in incognito mode, and sure enough, I can only see the Introduce yourself section, and this section (Questions and complaints).
Just curious if this was a misclick, or if this was a decision that wasn't necessarily shared with the rest of us?
It makes it hard to share project threads with non-members.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
  • Ride: 07 Hawkeye
Re: WSC gone private
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2021, 03:29:56 pm »
I will side ping you on this.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • Ride: 1999 Pajero, 1999 Evo VI, 1995 Evo III
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2021, 03:40:25 pm »
I mentioned it, because this is the only place on internet for my build threads and now people can't see them unless member. Seems whack.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2021, 04:03:12 pm »
I mentioned it, because this is the only place on internet for my build threads and now people can't see them unless member. Seems whack.

Feel free to make a post about stuff like we are here for you guys and if you feel something isn't right or needs looked at let us know and we will definitely look into it. Sometimes things happen when we make a back end change that might have an effect on something else.

I can definitely take a look and see about having the projects area open for public viewing if people feel its something worth having but it would only be viewable.

Also which section are you referring to specifically?

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2021, 04:17:04 pm »
Oh, I just casually mentioned it asking what happened, assuming I missed an announcement or something.

http://westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?board=136.0
http://westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?board=21.0

Most of technical really.
The 3 is raw.  Lighter than more agile.  The 6 probably feels like a 747.  And by that contrast, my STI probably feels like the Hindenburg.  So GR's are like the International Space Station.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2021, 04:33:35 pm »
Oh, I just casually mentioned it asking what happened, assuming I missed an announcement or something.

http://westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?board=136.0
http://westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?board=21.0

Most of technical really.

I'll take a look at the technical section to see about that section but there is stuff in there that we want specific for members only.

I'll also look at seeing about making the project stuff visible to guests but it would only be visible to view and not post. If we make an area open to guests posting it'll turn into a spam nightmare.

Offline tperkins

• Inarguably bearded
  • Rivaling ZZ-TOP
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2021, 04:39:26 pm »
I'll also look at seeing about making the project stuff visible to guests but it would only be visible to view and not post. If we make an area open to guests posting it'll turn into a spam nightmare.

Wasn't that how it always was? I think that is why I made an account here, to be able to comment and post. I would agree that would be a mess.

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2021, 05:12:28 pm »
Wasn't that how it always was? I think that is why I made an account here, to be able to comment and post. I would agree that would be a mess.

If you read this thread http://westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=19212.0 you will see the changes we put in place.

I will look into changes.

Offline Jaarreedd

• Stubbly Faced
  • "Goin' out for a rip boys, just keep giv'in 'er"
  • Ride: 2012 WRXV, 1995 Subaru STI RA - Stage Rally Race Car - "Lambda1"
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2021, 11:04:09 am »
I had a read through that thread, and am still wondering about the classifieds section: has this been removed entirely?

If not, am I not being given access to this section due to post count? I've been a member here for years and had tons of posts, but lots of them were in the classifieds section. Now I only show one post on my user profile. Any insight into this?

If you read this thread http://westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=19212.0 you will see the changes we put in place.

I will look into changes.
// 2012 WRXV
// 1995 Subaru STI RA - Stage Rally Race Car - "Lambda1"
- Original Subaru Team Canada car, restored and updated to newage electronics and drivetrain
- 207 V9 Spec C, 6-speed DCCD with GEMS control
- RSSP Gravel Suspension

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2021, 11:21:24 am »
I had a read through that thread, and am still wondering about the classifieds section: has this been removed entirely?

If not, am I not being given access to this section due to post count? I've been a member here for years and had tons of posts, but lots of them were in the classifieds section. Now I only show one post on my user profile. Any insight into this?

Because of the restructure of the post count system for privacy reasons some people who were established got bumped down thus causing areas to be hidden.

All you need to do is reach out to a staff member and explain you have a history and are a established member (which can be checked) and if you are we can adjust you to the minimum 5 post count to get access.

With that said I will now bump you up to 5 posts so you can have that access.

FYI As with most forums there are areas of the forum which will not contribute to your post count and others that will. This is to help prevent post spamming to get access to areas like the classifieds and such.

Offline darthekai

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • I CANT STOP POOPING
    • My Webpage
  • Ride: 2002 toyota tacoma 4dr (RTT crowdsourced with NFTs)
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2021, 01:12:28 pm »
weird. When I joined, EVERYTHING except Tech Docs was accessible (readable) by anyone without logging in.

There was a min post requirement to post in certain sections (reviews and marketplace I believe). And you were required to have an account to post.
This is the way most other car forums work as well. Usually some shared grey market tech documents in a secret subforum that are hidden from non members, then when the forum is hosting its own photos/files it often wont allow access without signing in to minimize traffic #s.
What man put together, man can rend asunder and then also put it together sometimes what's all this left over stuff
Subaru(sold) Ford (sold) Toyota

Offline firebane

• WSC Wrangler
  • Patchy Faced
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2021, 01:20:50 pm »
weird. When I joined, EVERYTHING except Tech Docs was accessible (readable) by anyone without logging in.

There was a min post requirement to post in certain sections (reviews and marketplace I believe). And you were required to have an account to post.
This is the way most other car forums work as well. Usually some shared grey market tech documents in a secret subforum that are hidden from non members, then when the forum is hosting its own photos/files it often wont allow access without signing in to minimize traffic #s.

This site gets completely hammered by spam bots so extra measures had to be put in unfortunately. There has been days where we've had like 50 accounts waiting for approval which was all spam.If you accidentally let a spam account in it can wreak havok hence the need for the new measures.

These measures also help us ensure that we are able to approve people better and  ensure we are approving proper people.

Offline Synn

• Stubbly Faced
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 03:27:37 pm »
Ahhh... now I get it.  I didn't understand the "minimum 5 posts" rule.  Seemed like a good way to get nonsense posts.   :D

Offline WinterRally

• Stubbly Faced
  • Ride: Pika-woo
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2021, 10:47:11 pm »
5 posts to finally view vehicle and parts section I hope seeing here meow....

Offline STi_Dm

• Baby Faced
  • Ride: 10 WRB STI
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2021, 01:32:05 pm »
Im guessing this is why the marketplace is gone to me, or is it removed all together?

Offline LilDrunkenSmurf

• Rivaling ZZ-TOP
  • This is why I can't own nice things..
  • Ride: hopefully doesn't trigger ekai
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2021, 02:27:17 pm »
Im guessing this is why the marketplace is gone to me, or is it removed all together?

Need to get your post count to 5.
If the sea was vodka, and I was a duck.
I would swim to the bottom, and drink my way up.
But the sea isn't vodka, and I'm not a duck.
So give me the vodka, and stfu.
If you're having forum problems, I feel bad for you son, I got 99 problems but your post ain't one.